Its never taken four hours to fit a WC pan before!!!!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
{rant begins}

apologies in advance - so peed off with muppets right now!

Been sorting a downstairs cloakroom in the house - knew there used to be an outside WC nearby; found the right spot, and took up the tile directly above it! WOW, my luck is in.....

Aqua-panelled the room, set the WHB up, done doorframe, bi-fold door etc. Everything going well.

So, 6.30 tonight - " I`m going to open the drain up, and pop the "multiquik" 4" in - we`ll have a working loo in a bit..........."

The original 4" clay glaze had been sealed off with a rubber bung. Rubber gauntlets and mask out - remove bung, ready to fit appropriate pan connector.

" WTF"!!!!!

Some muppet had put a plastic bag down the pipe, and loaded it up with floor tile adhesive, to make a "belt & braces" type bung, I suppose.

Problem is, the plastic has rotted to nothing. I touch the lump of adhesive, and it slides about 300mm down the pipe, where it sticks.

"Great", I think - there`s a bend it won`t go around - drill a hole in it, and pull it back up. Happy dayz :)

Except - the problem is there isn`t a soddin bend there - and it falls another 6" (after I make a 10mm hole in it!)

The vertical 4" pipe gives out onto the main drain from up the road - so all the neighbours` poo & stuff comes down there. and floating on top....? Yup! 5H1T isn`t the word to use at the time!!!!!!!!!

It can`t stay there - so, I`m laying on the floor, whole arm down this 4" pipe, with my fingertips trying to rotate the plug of tile cement so that I can lift it out......when a tide comes along and washes it out of reach (luckily that tide didn`t have lumps.......they came later :( )

Now - because I`m the last house in the row, I`ve a manhole about 4M away, which curves the main drain out to the street. So we`ll lift that, and try to "flush" this lump out.

Not happening!!!!! :(

Eventually got my "super rods" (through a piece of hose pipe!) down 600mm, round a 90 degree bend, past the lump, and out the manhole. Connect a 3" dia washer to the end of the rods ( I lurve self-amalgamating tape :x ), and pull it all through at 11.15!!!!!!!!!

{rant ends}

I`ve STILL got a garden full of tools, from the day`s labours to be cleaned up; and I REALLY need a shower (and some rum) ; but the F`in thing is done, without calling dynorod!!!!!

SO.....if I`m a bit taciturn or short tonight - sorry, but I feel like carp, too!

KME

p.s. The loo works, though ;) :)

quote I`ve STILL got a garden full of STOOLS, from the day`s labours to be cleaned up; and I REALLY need a shower (and some rum) ; but the F`in thing is done, without calling dynorod!!!!!

SO.....if I`m a bit taciturn or short tonight - sorry, but I feel like carp, too!

well anybody that did not see that one coming.....sorry

well i did plan on laying a new floor in the bathroom this weekend get the old carp up to find all the old tiles are being pulled up when i take the lino up......so all old tiles to be ripped off now and a massive gap where they didnt bother to lay the concrete floor all the way to the far wall to fill, plus ive got to rip down and reboard the ceiling now thanks to the useless moron in the flat above. by the time im finished i may as well do the whole room!

I feel for you Martyn. Quite a few years back my neighbour over the roads toilet blocked and it was coming out the top of both manhole covers must have been like it for ages. As I had some drain rods I said I would unblock it for her. Wish I hadn't it was a case of loads of water and drain rods back and forth. Did unblock it in the end and like you needed a bloody good shower. I don't think I will ever work for Dynorod.