JA Solar 545W panels, a word of warning!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuboy

Reaction score
Now then chaps we had our first delivery of JA Solar 545W panels today from the usual shipper that the wholesaler uses. These panels are over 2.2x1.1 and come on over size pallets.

So firstly the farmer turns up with his pallet forks on his front bucket mount. They were around 900 long, fine for a standard pallet but wouldn't go anywhere near all the way through the oversize pallet. so I ruled them out before we started.

We were dead lucky that the driver had a tail lift and our panels were right at the back. His pallet truck JUST reach through width ways and we got them onto the floor. He then thought as space was limited he's just slide the pallet truck round and pick them up length ways, luckily i was watching and vetoed the idea just before he'd pumped it up enough for the front of the pallet truck to go thought the bottom panel, as these pallets are made of cheese!

So just be aware when handling this new generation of super big panel, you need to be directing the off loading as even the drivers clearly are not used to moving them. The pallets are only strong enough to support the panels being lifted with forks that go all the way through, so if you haven't got a 1.1m forks on your pallet truck/ Fork lift you could land your self in a bit of a predicament!

Nuff said :)

Cheers
Stuart

Now then chaps we had our first delivery of JA Solar 545W panels today from the usual shipper that the wholesaler uses. These panels are over 2.2x1.1 and come on over size pallets.

So firstly the farmer turns up with his pallet forks on his front bucket mount. They were around 900 long, fine for a standard pallet but wouldn't go anywhere near all the way through the oversize pallet. so I ruled them out before we started.

We were dead lucky that the driver had a tail lift and our panels were right at the back. His pallet truck JUST reach through width ways and we got them onto the floor. He then thought as space was limited he's just slide the pallet truck round and pick them up length ways, luckily i was watching and vetoed the idea just before he'd pumped it up enough for the front of the pallet truck to go thought the bottom panel, as these pallets are made of cheese!

So just be aware when handling this new generation of super big panel, you need to be directing the off loading as even the drivers clearly are not used to moving them. The pallets are only strong enough to support the panels being lifted with forks that go all the way through, so if you haven't got a 1.1m forks on your pallet truck/ Fork lift you could land your self in a bit of a predicament!

Cheers
Stuart
I'm not a fan of these ruddy big panels, they really are a pain to manhandle. So whilst they offer advantages such as less roof work, everything else about them is a nonsense. Also beware of windy days on the roof, I was nearly taken off a roof by an unexpected gust of wind.

Cheers
Stuart
I got the same size but slightly lower output models recently and noticed the pallet was naff....first time buying so just thought it was the norm.... luckily we have a few chunky forklifts so wasn't a problem but good advice.

Also re Binky, I get what you mean about the size of these things, I was fitting on my own and they are pretty awkward to move about. Luckily only on a low roof but really should be a 2 man job.

I got the same size but slightly lower output models recently and noticed the pallet was naff....first time buying so just thought it was the norm.... luckily we have a few chunky forklifts so wasn't a problem but good advice.

Also re Binky, I get what you mean about the size of these things, I was fitting on my own and they are pretty awkward to move about. Luckily only on a low roof but really should be a 2 man job.
I've shifted something like 40,000 panels over the years, and I find these a real struggle on my own. Ideally 3 people on the roof works best, 2 is fine, but I would say 2 is essential for these big panels unless you are built like Geoff Capes - showing my age with that comment :D.

Most pallets are single use crap these days, I've even had pallets were the wood still has the bark on.