Jackdaw...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck U Farley

Reaction score
Oh dear, the things I get myself into...

So, my old Ma tells me there's an injured crow down the side of her house, can I sort it out? Upon investigation, it's a Jackdaw, a young one, though fully fledged. There are Jackdaws nesting nearby, but not that close that it could have fallen out of a nest. I'd imagine this was one that came to grief on a maiden flight or thereabouts.

It seems to have a wing problem, it's hanging down, but there may have been an encounter with a certain little terrier, as it looks scraped, missing feathers on that wing. No bleeding, no obvious open wounds, though it looks a bit raw. Doesn't seem to be in shock (yet), it's perky, lively, and didn't want to be caught, but definitely can't fly now.

So, it's now in an old cat carrier, in the dark of the garage, with some water and some dog food. Where to from here?

Just because I am well up on my wild birds, my family think I'm Dr Bloody Dolittle, and a quiet neck wringing is not going to be possible, not with some little wide-eyed wonders watching and expecting good old Uncle Chuck to perform a miracle.

I imagine a vet would put it straight to sleep, but I must be suffering from some sort of Pussy Syndrome, because I want to give it a chance and see if it will overcome. Do I clean the injured wing? What with? Any advice gratefully received.

A nice Wildlife Sanctuary would be the ticket, if one is close by (Warwickshire)...

I tend to think these animals are best left where found and nature will dictate which way things will go. There is very little you can do and euthanasia may be more humane than captivity (oh the ethics of some 'sanctuaries' is another thread).

Keep it as you are over the weekend and then release next week and see what happens.