Joining NIC or nappit with a new business

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeywakey

Reaction score
Hey there guys,

New to the forum and new to starting my own business so learning as I go! Name is Ricki and I’m living in Cornwall, looking to join the NIC or nappit and start in the domestic field.

I wanted to join a governing body (NIC or nappit) before starting my own company but the NIC want me to provide one job to become a domestic installer or three to become an approved contractor.

Problem is I have not yet got any jobs trading under my new company name! Question is do I go with NIC or nappit first of all? And also did anyone start trading business before joining them? Want to be as professional as possible and be able to issue genuine certification from the start. Thanks everyone!

If you are qualified then you can issue genuine certificates anyhow without membership.
Domestic customers generally haven’t heard of the NIC or Napit, and Part P is the responsibility of the person ordering the works not doing the works.
So there is No significant professional ism added by registering with either.
However the onus is put upon the installer to be Part P registered for ease of process, so you could register with any of the current CPS bodies for the sake of Part P compliance.
Now if you were to do more commercial/industrial works then it is fair to say that NIC is more widely requested and thus you will be seen to be more professional if already registered as an Approved contractor prior to works.

As for Domestic only then good luck as it’s a battlefield all of its own and competition is fierce.

Thanks for your reply mate! Yes I am fully qualified but have little knowledge of the correct certifications and if I needed a governing body to begin trading properly. Would you use a generic minor works and electrical installation certificate before I join the NIC or nappit?

I do believe in the big book are the necessary certificates which you can copy. Alternatively your wholesaler will sell a book of generic certificates.
I suspect a bit t’internet searching will reveal a certificate or two to download??

if you do join a scheme, don’t be drawn in to using their software as if you want to leave or swap you will lose access to all your certificates

if you do join a scheme, don’t be drawn in to using their software as if you want to leave or swap you will lose access to all your certificates
Are they legally allowed to do that? Surely the certificates belong to the person whom has responsibility of signing for them? I’d be fairly confident to say that it is a breach of data protection as the electrician is deemed the competent (responsible) person and therefore the data controller? Otherwise what should happen in the event of a claim further down the line?

Are they legally allowed to do that? Surely the certificates belong to the person whom has responsibility of signing for them? I’d be fairly confident to say that it is a breach of data protection as the electrician is deemed the competent (responsible) person and therefore the data controller? Otherwise what should happen in the event of a claim further down the line?

interesting angle on this.

ive used Shineforms for many years and. 3 x CPSs 😊

Thanks for your reply mate! Yes I am fully qualified but have little knowledge of the correct certifications and if I needed a governing body to begin trading properly. Would you use a generic minor works and electrical installation certificate before I join the NIC or nappit?

NICEIC shop has green, non-logoed certificates available for purchase and use by anyone...
e.g.
https://www.shop.niceic.com/certificates/handwritten/electrical/domestic-installation-certificate-handwritten?f=04&f04=Green - Available to All&ipp=12

Or you can buy equivalents from numerous other suppliers:-
e.g. Screwfix.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/el...edirect-_-electrical-_-electricalcertificates

Toolstation..
https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=electrical certificates

TLC..
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=electrical+certificates&Submit=Search

Or you could just create your own with most commonly available word-processor or spread-sheet packages..

But... I do find your comment that you are "fully qualified" yet don't understand what electrical certificates you should be completing a bit of a contradiction and confusing in my mind..???

As part of the formal C&G qualifications, exams etc..
includes inspection & testing of additions & alterations and how to compile your results onto the appropriate BS7671 model form..
and for which types of work each should be used...

Or didn't your training include chapter 6 of BS7671?

Shineforms user here too.

Napit allow you to do a job that requires Part P notification to use as your assessment job. You can then once joined, carry out the notification.

What do you mean by 'fully qualified'? That goes a long way to whether you can class yourself as competent and I would look on your local council website for building control and see what they require for you to class yourself as able to sign off work. You many find you have to pay for a building regs inspection for each job that isn't minor and its therefore cheaper joining a cps scheme due to that for a start

Hello chap - I did this last year and went with NAPIT - if you don’t have a testing and inspecting qualification - 2391 etc you can’t join as the changed the rules last year. You can show a notifiable job in your own home. it has to be a new circuit. as For forms I use electraform. They charge £1.00 a cert with no signup. What’s not to love about that. You can upload your logo, signature etc and they look very professional. I have the handwriting of a 5 year old. As for other quals I would give them a call. i have C&G 236,1,2,3, 4 and 2391 but these are old courses. Give them a call. They are far more accommodating than the NIC who really didn’t care when I called them hence why I went with NAPIT - Good Luck !

Problem is I have not yet got any jobs trading under my new company name! Question is do I go with NIC or nappit first of all? And also did anyone start trading business before joining them? Want to be as professional as possible and be able to issue genuine certification from the start. Thanks everyone!
update your own CU, or one for a friend / family. I wouldn't worry about Approved Contractor unless you plan to chase council contracts, or some large commercial type works where that may be required.

Hello chap - I did this last year and went with NAPIT - if you don’t have a testing and inspecting qualification - 2391 etc you can’t join as the changed the rules last year. You can show a notifiable job in your own home. it has to be a new circuit. as For forms I use electraform. They charge £1.00 a cert with no signup. What’s not to love about that. You can upload your logo, signature etc and they look very professional. I have the handwriting of a 5 year old. As for other quals I would give them a call. i have C&G 236,1,2,3, 4 and 2391 but these are old courses. Give them a call. They are far more accommodating than the NIC who really didn’t care when I called them hence why I went with NAPIT - Good Luck !
Awesome thanks for the message, great info! Will look into this a bit more :)

NICEIC shop has green, non-logoed certificates available for purchase and use by anyone...
e.g.
https://www.shop.niceic.com/certificates/handwritten/electrical/domestic-installation-certificate-handwritten?f=04&f04=Green - Available to All&ipp=12

Or you can buy equivalents from numerous other suppliers:-
e.g. Screwfix.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/el...edirect-_-electrical-_-electricalcertificates

Toolstation..
https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=electrical certificates

TLC..
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=electrical+certificates&Submit=Search

Or you could just create your own with most commonly available word-processor or spread-sheet packages..

But... I do find your comment that you are "fully qualified" yet don't understand what electrical certificates you should be completing a bit of a contradiction and confusing in my mind..???

As part of the formal C&G qualifications, exams etc..
includes inspection & testing of additions & alterations and how to compile your results onto the appropriate BS7671 model form..
and for which types of work each should be used...

Or didn't your training include chapter 6 of BS7671?
Thank you for your reply! Great info. Yes I have the relevant qualifications to test and inspect (EAL600/4338/6) (EAL600/4337/4)
and have no trouble with forms. I have only used NIC format since then and I just wanted to clarify on the variations of certificate templates and the benefits of each and if joining the NIC/governing body is worthwhile in general and for certification purposes. Thanks :)