Junction Boxes - how many lighting ccts?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
Advice required here. Just been involved with a partial rewire of a garage - unfortunately requiring the use of junction boxes in the lighting circuit. Bearing in mind I'm from an engineering background rather than an electrician - so this may be a basic question - how many switched lighting circuits would you put in a 4 way 30A junction box.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Have a look at this link

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/lighting_circuits.htm

it should explain it better than i can !!
Hi TS - that is exactly as I understood it - use one JB per lighting circuit with the fourth terminal as switched live. However today I was told that by using chocolate blocks for the switched live and shoving them in a 30A JB you could easily get 3 circuits in the one JB and it would look better where wiring is exposed. In the case I was looking at it would have meant 7 - 9 cables coming into one JB - which doesn't seem right to me. Is this standard practice?

for me no,,,,,,,if i had to trace a fault thru that lot i would be well miffed.

who has advised you on these ideas

think of it like this

in the garage the junction box replaces your ceiling rose if you have more than one lighting cct

from your two threads i think you have been given poor advice and not best practice

stick around the others will be along soon :D

Hi Dave.

Theo is again on the nail. However; you could use an adaptable box; which could conceivably carry more than one cct. Not something I would generally do, but allowable.

Next time your "senior sparx" puts you down, smile to yourself (on the inside only) ; safe in the knowledge that you aren`t as daft as he would like you to think.

KME

Kme - didn't feel like smiling much today as he damn nigh chinned me for disagreeing with him and arguing my point. I don't think we will be working together much in the future!

On the other hand you have cheered me up immensely. I'm smiling on the outside as well! Thanks:) :) :)

Ive actually seen 12.!!!!

yes

12.!!!!

spider system and the guy didnt have an adaptable box to hand,

FFS, never seen so many cables in one J-B...... :eek: :O:O

BUT,

I think 1 would be the correct answer if you want a prize. :)

Kme - didn't feel like smiling much today as he damn nigh chinned me for disagreeing with him and arguing my point. I don't think we will be working together much in the future!On the other hand you have cheered me up immensely. I'm smiling on the outside as well! Thanks:) :) :)
That's good to hear, Dave (smiling).

The Don's boys are available if you have any further problems.

Don

The Senior Electrician whose job it was - told me my method was amateurish and unacceptable workmanship. Was not happy!

I don't think so. very professional IMO.

The Don's boys are available if you have any further problems.

:^O

:eek:

OK.

Lets have a competition.

Sod welshy`s top shelf. Admin2 has better prizes (so I`m told) [cheers BM]

Who can get the most cables into the least JB?

We need a neutral, independant judge.

ME!

`cos I`ll call it "straight down the middle".

list of prizes on offer - available from admin2

HOWEVER...............Scoobs could be a BIGG reward.

Who`s in? (applications accepted from all and sundry.)

KME

Hi Dave.Theo is again on the nail. However; you could use an adaptable box; which could conceivably carry more than one cct. Not something I would generally do, but allowable.

Next time your "senior sparx" puts you down, smile to yourself (on the inside only) ; safe in the knowledge that you aren`t as daft as he would like you to think.

KME
In any standard junction box I would never put more terminal strips to increase the number of connections.. or cram too many wires in..

It may cut a few corners on the install but if you are the poor sod who has to go back later tracing a fault or doing an alteration!!! you wont be happy! X(

I would concur with KME suggestion ... If there is a requirement to put several cables or circuits terminating in one box you could use a suitable size adaptable box...

big enough to give space for connectors...

and you can identify cables with coloured tape and stick a note inside the lid detail what and where the circuits go to/from for later reference!

there is nothing wrong with putting multiple circuits in one box..

(no different to a fuse box!! :D ) just label stuff up keep it easy and simple)

In any standard junction box I would never put more terminal strips to increase the number of connections.. or cram too many wires in..It may cut a few corners on the install but if you are the poor sod who has to go back later tracing a fault or doing an alteration!!! you wont be happy! X(

I would concur with KME suggestion ... If there is a requirement to put several cables or circuits terminating in one box you could use a suitable size adaptable box...

big enough to give space for connectors...

and you can identify cables with coloured tape and stick a note inside the lid detail what and where the circuits go to/from for later reference!

there is nothing wrong with putting multiple circuits in one box..

(no different to a fuse box!! :D ) just label stuff up keep it easy and simple)
B)B)B)B) (over 500 posts. I`m a big(ger) boy now!!)

bahhh!!!!show off.....

you will be wanting your own bed in the dormitory next????? :eek: :O:O
OWN BED????????????????

I`ve got my own room, you prattock. As have you. That`s cos we`re "special"!! :^O :^O

Why do you think the condensed version of your name includes the word "LOC"?

It`s a psychological cry for attention. You feel a need to be locked up.

`s funny. I feel a need for you to be locked up too!!!!