Just thought I'd mention.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been fitting solar panels for the last 2 weeks on top of Magna (the Science adventure place). It was a good crack and the other lads on job were sound. Taking me under their wing and showing me how to go about it. Soon picked it up. Been fitting the panels, helped pull the cables in and mouting the invertors, isolators, etc. Thnik the best bit had to be when people phone up and part of the conversation is 'Where are you?'. Me:'Sat on top of magna....' lol. Hopefully some more work coming from these guys. Found it interesting and got some satisfaction from it.

Got a few pics, Needed resizing and din't have time last night so done them this morning:

IMAG0116.jpg

Here's me mate prepping a pallet of panels for fitting. Well, just sticking the rubbers on.

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

This is at the end of the first day. Had to learn how to fit and wire them up, then we (me and mate) managed to get 2 rows down (60 panels). Might not sound many but we had to carry them up over the roof peak seen to the left on first pic above (prepping the pallet)

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

The array finished...

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

A ladder rack run we put in for the DC lines back to invertors. The bottom looks a bit ropey in the pic, but looks fine close up. It had to \_/ at the bottom of valley as well as dog leg over a bit as peaks of the corrigation roof didn't line up. Pain in the rear it was.

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

Couple of 'nice view' shots.

IMAG0130.jpg

And finally this is how we got up there. Up a long scaffold ladder to the right which got you on to the old fire escape steps, then all way up the steps. Knackered by the time you got to top. And if you forgot something, then.......well......

We did plenty of other work but didn't have time for pics. So this is the lot for now. There maybe some more work for us mid next week, but not 100% so will see. Will get some more pics if I go back. cheers

That is a very large install, if you can get any pictures of the inverters, and the supplies that would be great. Your pictures so far are brilliant.

Well, yesterday we were setting up the smaller roof in front of the main building (all photies are from the main building) (part of same install, going to same supplies). It has 4 arrays (3 x 160 panels and a 170 panels), and so 4 3-phase invertors. 3 x 12.5 kw and a 15kw. We did the unistrut for these and hung them. The armoured that went from the pv panel of this section of the install to the sub was 35mm 4 core (we pulled that in yesterday too). Was a good long run to pull up over 10 meters high too. I would say this section equates to about a quater of the full install.