Kitchen Rewire - Grid Switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavenderminx

Reaction score
Be gentle, this is my first time on a forum.

Anyway, having new kitchen fitted and wanted to update the wiring (Scots regs))......... was going to run 4mm radial (32MCB) t&e cable to a 4 gang grid for(fridge/freezer/dish washer/washing machine) then from the 20 amp DP grid switch run to each appliance a single cable (no more than 2meters in length each) ending in a non switched single gang socket (all aplliances have fused plugs) Can I drop from 4mm to 2.5 from 20amp DP switch to socket?or does it have to stay 4mm?

The rest of the kitchen is on a 2.5 mm (32MCB) t&e ring with a number of double gang sockets (5 in total). On this ring I have a second grid (3gang) Microwave, extractor, undercounter lights) all 2.5mm cables as this size cable is easier to wire. Again all fused plugs so due to the 20amp DP switch am I right in thinking i don't need a FCU, just a single gang non switched socket?

Large double oven/hob is on 10mm dedicated radial.

How does that sound? Will have it all PIR tested, but wanted to check before I go ahead. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

There's no such thing as "Scots regs"

We work to the same wiring regs as the rest of the UK.

Granted we have different building regulations, meaning there's no...  well you know what I mean.

I would generally have fuse units in the grid switch also. I have put some appliances on dedicated circuits also. Just depends on job.