LABC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Had them out 2day to look at the foundations for my garage.

electrics was mentioned,,,told him im doing it and will notify them in due course.

told him i have my own test equip,,will provide certs complying to the latest regs.

blank expression from the guy :eek:

trust me i said it will be ok

he was back later and showed me a piece of paper with BS7671 on it.

is this what you are on about he said !!!! yep i told him

ok he said i need to come out before you plaster embarrassed smiley

its a garage im having built !!!! not a play room

why bother with part :(

found out that 6 months ago he was a brickie on a building site

Awwwww...... And there I was thinking about becoming one. :_|

I recently came across a situation where the householder had wired a bathroom fan himself, whilst doing other work. Building control just said `tell me when you are done and I`l have a quick look`, which they did.

The householder has very little knowledge of regs and no test equipment- but this didn`t stop him from recently re-wiring his own house! The BC guy signed the bathroom off without ANY certs whatsoever. The householder then asks me to look at the bathroom fan as he thinks it`s faulty (the SECOND faulty one) so just to be nosey I had a quick look. The power to the fan is by means of a flex plugged into a socket on the landing and the switch-wire for the timer function is from the lighting circuit!

How can someone with no electrical knowledge sign electrical work off done by someone else with no electrical knowledge?

Talk about the blind leading the blind. :(

To be fair LABC's have been lumped with this responsibility without any training or money provided by the government.

There are some very good inspectors out there who have come out of the building industry and know what they are talking about in reference to the Building Regulations.

Until now no electricians have followed that route. I think you will start to see older sparks, who want to get off the tools, start working for local government in the next few years.

(I'm considering transfering...... )