Lady Poster With Rangermaster Cooker Questions :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickles

Reaction score
Hiya guys ;)

Ok first post, new to the forums so hello everyone :)

Im about to buy my dream Cooker, its a RANGEMASTER Professional Plus, and has the Induction Hob with 2 ovens and a seperate grill

Now, having read as much as I could on this, it seems the power in KW is huge!

I have lost now where the figure is I saw but it was around 18KW if I remember correctly

I had an electrician round this morning, didnt inspire me with confidence to be honest lol....

So, questions...... lol.....

My previous cooker is all gas, and there is no provision in the kitchen currently for the electric feed I am going to need for this cooker

In the Garage is the main board, it has the feed coming up from the floor into the fuse (100 fuse the electrician checked it this morning) and from the fuse to the old type wheel meter, its 16mm Cable Red and Black. Out of the meter there are two 22mm T&E going in the Box.

My Kitchen is if you can imaging, square in shape and your standing in the middle facing forwards, in front of you a lovely view of the garden lol, on the right, in the middle of the wall, is where the cooker is going, on the left, that left wall is what the garage butts onto, and on that wall, thats where the Box is in the garage

Attached to post for your reference is what the blurb on the Rangemaster brochure for this cooker says for the power....

forget that cannot add a picture.... 

ok...

Induction hob back three left to right

Max: 1.85 kW
Boost: 2.5 kW
Boost: 3.0 kW
Boost: 2.5 kW
Front two left to right

Max: 1.15 kW
Boost: 2.0 kW
Max: 1.15 kW
Boost: 2.0 kW

Ovens
Left-hand Oven                                                                                                                                            Right-hand Oven
Multi-function -  Multi-function(with Rapid Response) - Conventional                                                      Forced Air Convection

Maximum output@ 230 V 50 Hz

2.5 kW              3.7 kW                                                 2.2 kW                                                                              2.5 kW

Grill 2.3 kW

Maximum total electrical load at 230 V (approximate including oven lights, oven fan, etc.)
Multi-function oven variant: 14.82 kW
Multi-function oven (with rapid response) variant: 16.02 kW
Conventional oven variant: 14.52 kW.

ALL GREEK TO ME LOL

So, speaking to the guys tech support at Rangemaster, they said to tell the Electrician 45 AMP RCBO and 10mm cable

Would this be correct?

They said it MUST have a RCBO because of leakage??

Lastly, can the electrician drill through the garage into the kitchen at low level, and run the needed supply around the kitchen left - front - right if its wall mounted?  Not sure if it could be on the floor behind the units because it routes behind a washing machine and a dishwasher

Any help appreciated please guys :)

Jules

Hmmmm !  " .....a lovey view of the garden ...."    Eh !    Don't think we've ever had that phrase in a post before ;)       It won't however , lower the current rating of your humungous cooker I'm afraid.

22mm cable ...will be 25mm I'd guess .  thats OK.

10mm  supply will suffice for the cooker . 

Is your fuseboard a modern circuit breaker type ? 

Not sure about Technical saying  "...fit  an RCBO because of the leakage...."    If the cooker suffers from leakage to earth  the RCBO will keep tripping out .      If it does have leakage issues it may need a 100mA  RCD    or even just an MCB  if the cable is'nt flushed into the wall .

Best await the mighty Kerching the Cook to land , see if his Rangemaster has leakage.  

Oh   And whether his kitchen has "...a lovely view of the garden..."

Last edited by a moderator:
My Rangemaster Pro has never tripped my RCD. Why would they?

Mine's a dual fuel one with LPG hob.  Personally if you have mains gas, I would stick to that for the hob, but it's your choice. We chose the gas hob even though we have no gas (hence a pair of 47KG bottles just for the cooker)

Never mind all that tosh  Dave .....whats the view of garden like ?  :innocent

Being  serious , as Dave says ,  its a modern appliance , it shouldn't have earth leakage issues.  

I've never had a cooker that looks out over the garden.  Call me old fashioned (I'll be disappointed if you don't) but it's the kitchen sink that gets the view of the garden in every kitchen I have seen.  So the washer upper gets the view. All the cook sees is a blank tiled wall.

You would have to have a very low window, or very high cooker hood for a window to work, and it would be a biatch to keep cleaning the grease splatters off the glass (they don't show as much on tiles)

My Kitchen is if you can imaging, square in shape and your standing in the middle facing forwards, in front of you a lovely view of the garden lol, on the right, in the middle of the wall, is where the cooker is going, on the left, that left wall is what the garage butts onto, and on that wall, thats where the Box is in the garage

I've never had a cooker that looks out over the garden.  Call me old fashioned (I'll be disappointed if you don't) but it's the kitchen sink that gets the view of the garden in every kitchen I have seen.  So the washer upper gets the view. All the cook sees is a blank tiled wall.

You would have to have a very low window, or very high cooker hood for a window to work, and it would be a biatch to keep cleaning the grease splatters off the glass (they don't show as much on tiles)

Come on now boys....

wake up...

I believe the lady said that if the view of the garden is in front of you...

The cooker wall is on the right...

And someones Butt in the garage is on the left..................

Kenny Everett had a big Butt when he did his Rod Stewart sketch.!!!!!

oh the joys of beer digressions...

Guinness   Guinness   Guinness

back on topic...

Jules Get the spark to waz in a 10mm...

if the existing fuse box is too full.

just add a small 2-way box with RCD & MCB..

typically £30 to £40 max..

IIRC Samatha Cameron has one of these Rangemasters.

I think her husband uses it to cook up his fiscal policies.

There is NO view over the garden.  He does not need one.

Hey Guys ;)

Yes, the front garden is in front of you lol the cooker on the right hand wall which is tiled lol, no one has a cooker under a window do they :)

Ok, well The tech guys said it might have a slight leakage, dont know whether thats the induction hob part or not, I will ring them again and check that bit

Thank you all so much for the advice though, I know what I am looking to do now :)

Jules xx

Hi all,

Wonder if they mean that the thing is quite leaky, and so, needs to be on an RCBO all on its own?? what i mean is, if you just wired it from a CU that incorporated a 30mA RCD would the leakage from the cooker ADDED to that of other things. [Might have 20 computers in the house!] trip the RCD.....

[You would NOT be able to use a 100mA rcd as to afford protection from shock [as opposed to fire prevention and the like] it MUST be a 30mA one]

Anyway, what i think Jules is asking is, will she actually be able to have this thing installed... Answer.... DEFINITELY YES!!!!!    So what if the total connected load is 18Kw, with diversity it will be no worse than an electric shower..

john......