Lamp Fittings - Half Inch Threaded Tube Problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.F.

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a small lamp base in a charity shop. It had a large,ugly plastic lamp holder on it which I needed to change.

I bought from lampsandlights a COUPLER to go on the bit of screw thread set into the top of the lamp, a 4 inch length of TUBING with an external thread at each end and a BULB HOLDER.

They all fit together but make the small shade too tall to fit on the bookshelf. Lampsandlights don’t do a shorter joining tube. If the lamp holder is screwed directly onto the base the lampshade is too low. The problem I’m finding is that these fittings are half inch in diameter and no one seems to make compatible threaded tubing in this country. I just need a bit about an inch long with the right threads and the right diameter. I am really stuck, so any help would be much appreciated. (Although the other fittings have an antique brass finish I could paint any other tubing material to match)

Thank you, J.F.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for your interest and replies.(I can't use a hacksaw because the tube needs a thread at both ends).

Thanks for the information about British Standard Pipe and the link to the Lilley catalogue - very interesting and will be very useful.

Much appreciated,

J.F.

Try your local hardware shop.

The one in our local town stocks various bits of this threaded tubing in different lengths, and the adapters to adapt between the (at least) two different sizes.

Latest posts