Landlord EICR and fuseboard shortage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Questioninganny

Reaction score
Hi there.

I would like some advice. Moved into a property 6 months ago and the property was found to have two category C2's reported on the EICR. I'm aware there are new regulations that apply since last July and that if there is an C2 marked it should be rectified in 28 days. 

The agent has a favored electrician who has told me I have a 'small width fuseboard" and that there are "stock shortages everywhere due to COVID" therefore he can't get hold of a fuseboard for the replacement even 6 months on after I moved in. 

Please can someone tell me

1. Is there actually a stock shortage?

2. If there isn't would that make it technically illegal that 6 months on I am still living in a property with a known E2 fault? 

The agent and their tradesman have not proved to be too trustworthy before and have operated at cross purposes so hence my suspician. Just want to know if on this occasion it's true or an excuse. 

Hi there.

I would like some advice. Moved into a property 6 months ago and the property was found to have two category C2's reported on the EICR. I'm aware there are new regulations that apply since last July and that if there is an C2 marked it should be rectified in 28 days. 

The agent has a favored electrician who has told me I have a 'small width fuseboard" and that there are "stock shortages everywhere due to COVID" therefore he can't get hold of a fuseboard for the replacement even 6 months on after I moved in. 

Please can someone tell me

2. If there isn't would that make it technically illegal that 6 months on I am still living in a property with a known E2 fault? 

The agent and their tradesman have not proved to be too trustworthy before and have operated at cross purposes so hence my suspician. Just want to know if on this occasion it's true or an excuse. 
I’m surprised that you were allowed to move in without a satisfactory EICR. Round here the agents wouldn’t allow that

what does the EICR highlight as the C2’s?

In answer to the original question, yes there has been the odd delay in getting parts - maybe 2 weeks but certainly not months.

I suspect the agent / spark are colluding to delay the install until said spark has time to do it.

Can't really answer that as you don't say what you need..

BUT if you Google "consumer units"...

look for one with the number of circuits you have..

check the dimensions..

you can generally see what stock availability and delivery times are..

e.g.

https://www.toolstation.com/electrical-supplies-accessories/consumer-units/c937

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/index.html

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/domestic-consumer-units/cat7230028

etc..

etc..

etc..

Its not rocket science..

but as a general rule a bit of shopping around can normally source a suitable item for any task..

Though it may be next-week, rather than next-day....

:popcorn  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m surprised that you were allowed to move in without a satisfactory EICR. Round here the agents wouldn’t allow that

The 2 C2's are no RCD in the fuseboard. The fuseboard is just over 40 years old. And I believe the other is about the material of the fuseboard. The fuseboard is situated right next to my only entrance/exit point. 

Can you upload a pic of existing board via a third party app? What dimensions is the existing board? 
what are the C2’s?
Yes here is a pic.

The dimensions are 30cm wide. 34 cm long. 

I should add (not sure if its relevant info or not) that i currently have a historical Economy 7setup/wiring metre. I believe my board currently has 2 fuseboards housed in one?? (Do correct me if wrong based on photo) Although at this point the E7 is totally pointless. At some point before I moved in the storage heaters were ripped out for super basic panel heaters that don't have timers and basically just have an on / off switch so can't run heating on E7. Also the immersion has no timer function and works at any time of the day so long as it is turned on at the socket. 

https://pasteboard.co/JZVM7iK.jpg

How many circuits are there? 
Please see the photo I uploaded just one post above

Sorry I tried to reply but I think it may of deleted it. The C2s are the material of the fuseboard (picture of this linked in the post above) - this board it situated right next to my only entrance/exit door. And also lack of RCD. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I tried to reply but I think it may of deleted it. The C2s are the material of the fuseboard (picture of this linked in the post above) - this board it situated right next to my only entrance/exit door. And also lack of RCD. 
the material is only relevant if there are signs of thermal damage

Not sure if that old my board can use the current MK RCBOs 

no its not. thermal damage is always a problem no matter what the enclosure is made from. if it wasn't then by that logic a metal board is fine having thermal damage...

It is when you've had a few glasses of vino😂

But thermal damage can incur inside metal units and often does because its still the poor quality parts that used to be inside plastic boards, now inside metal boards

There has been some minor shortages and delays in getting parts and materials however I haven't had to wait more than a week for some parts, the vast majority are available same day.

Yes here is a pic.

The dimensions are 30cm wide. 34 cm long. 

I should add (not sure if its relevant info or not) that i currently have a historical Economy 7setup/wiring metre. I believe my board currently has 2 fuseboards housed in one?? (Do correct me if wrong based on photo) Although at this point the E7 is totally pointless. At some point before I moved in the storage heaters were ripped out for super basic panel heaters that don't have timers and basically just have an on / off switch so can't run heating on E7. Also the immersion has no timer function and works at any time of the day so long as it is turned on at the socket. 

https://pasteboard.co/JZVM7iK.jpg

Please see the photo I uploaded just one post above

that would not be an easy board to get a replacement for.

Just wondeing if t could be converted using a set of SBS Daves stuff? 

That would not be an easy board to get a replacement for.

Just wondering if t could be converted using a set of SBS Dave's stuff? 

An SBS , all RCBO, 10 way board is 317mm wide inc the 100A isolator.

View attachment SBS-Price-List-2021 (1).pdf

Maybe do away with the need for a double stacker altogether?

Is the bell transformer still used? 

It is not a fuseboard, it has no fuses. It is a consumer unit. It looks as if it is metal but I may be wrong. Could not an external RCD be fitted?

Bit like saying that's not Sellotape...

Its clear adhesive tape...

in this context..

to the average user.. 

A CU is just a fuse-box, fuse-board, or similar..

and...

A single external RCD, whilst a tad safer...  

will NOT give full BS7671 compliance!

:C