Laptop Lockout (Password help required)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadzilla

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a laptop (Toshiba) in a bootsale this Morning. I saw it working and connected to the net.

Problem is, when I got home it did the 'Control, alt & delete' and got to the next window.

It showed as "Administrator" and asked for a password. Not having the passwoird off the seller and not being computer minded, Is there a way that I can do this please?

I have put in my Windows XP cd for a fresh install, but it is not getting past the stage, mentioned above. I even tried the F8 on start up too.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard.

when the password window opens try leaving it blank and just hit enter sometimes the password is removed but prompt still comes up

Hi Ian,

I have tried that and it appears the same (asking for password). I can't get past this stage. :(

Do you know where the "Back Up" battery is and how I get to it too please? I have read that sometimes, this works?

Any idea of the size of a back up battery please?

The "Administrator" comes on, on it's own as users name? and no password, I have tried the "double click" in case the previous owner had stored it in for it to remember it - with no joy. :_|

Sorry no - I assume it will be a coin battery but you would probably have to strip the thing down to get to it.

Try admin or administrator as the password.

There is a sure way round it get to DOS and format the c drive and install from scratch but if your windows disk needs to be for that machine or proper xp home / professional copy, you cant use a recovery disk from another pc

I have only tried the method suggested above (just clicking enter a few times).

I haven't a clue what to enter as a password. :(

Yes, all lowercase.

It has had WindowsXP Professional (2001) added to it (Service Pack 1).

(on the sticker underneath it says windows 200 - so it has been upgraded at some point).

is there a drop down icon on the user box? you may be able to switch to a different user and enter a blank for the password