Large new build, multiple cooker question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spent 4 long days last week first fixing a large new build house. 4 long days and the ground floor is just about first fixed, 108 points so far. (not yet including tv points, telephone points, alarm and speaker wiring)

But I got stuck at the kitchen. The owner has not yet defined her cooker requirements exactly.

She wants a large hob and 2 fan ovens, all electric. I suggested a range cooker, but she can't find a range cooker with two fan ovens.

So her current thinking is two small hobs (because two small hobs are cheaper than one large hob) and two individual single fan ovens because all the dual ovens she has found have only been one fan and one conventional oven.

So what should I fit for my first fix with such an ill defined requirement?

My inclination is two 6mm cooker radials, and each can feed a small hob and single oven. Am I on the right lines?

Or to make this easier, can anyone find an all electric range cooker with two fan ovens?

I don't want to go over the top on first fix (4 separate 6mm radials might be considered OTT) but want to fit enough to meet her needs.

It's only a short run, about 6 metres back to CU, but physically an awkward cable route.

I'm back there tomorrow starting on the upstairs.

i hope your getting a 3 phase supply put in for the supply cutout, :^O

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:58 ----------

oh and not forgetting a 48 way TPN consumer unit board :D

i hope your getting a 3 phase supply put in for the supply cutout, :^O oh and not forgetting a 48 way TPN consumer unit board :D
Supply yet to be ordered.

I'm still waiting the answer to the question, what is powering the 4 showers. I HOPE they are being fed from the boiler / hot water system, otherwise I WILL be stipulating a 3 phase suppy.

The house supply will also feed the detached double garage with 2 bedroom granny flat above it, due to be completed shortly after the main house. Another kitchen and another bathroom.

So it's looking like 3 phase is sensible anyway.

But big faux pas. They built an outside meter cupboard into the wall (which is now finished and rendered) but they didn't build in a duct to get the incomming cable in to it (I did tell them to do that when I looked at the job 6 months ago)

Don't you just love design and build jobs with no plan. I think I would put in a couple of 6mm's and a 10mm to be on the safe side hopefully this would cover anything needed. Good luck.

Don't you just love design and build jobs with no plan.
Ah that's the problem. There IS a set of plans that shows a single "cooker" with a single cooker point.

But the owners are changing the requirements daily, without updating the plans.

So nobody knows of a double fan oven or range cooker with two fan ovens?

Also another little gem. There might be a gas fire in the snug living room. they don't know yet, there may be issues with the flue too close to an opening window. It will be LPG from outside bottles. I guess an earth bond for that just in case. It's right at the other end of the house to the CU, something like 30 metres away.

Did I forget to mention the customer is supplying all the materials, and in spite of being on the list I gave them, still no sign of any earth cable. headbang

All you can do is put in what you think may be needed that way its there if needed if not its not the end of thev world. Did you give them a price to do the work?

All you can do is put in what you think may be needed that way its there if needed if not its not the end of thev world. Did you give them a price to do the work?
I gave them an estimate, based on the number of points shown on the plans. They are well aware that the number of points has already increased a lot and the price will be higher.

If you have a look at the electricians guide to the building regs (4.4 from memory) it says that circuit rating of 15 amps up to 50 amps may supply 2 or more cooking appliances, when in stalled in the same room. The isolator needs to be located within 2 meters of the appliance.

Ian

My rangemaster professional Induction Hob Cooker has 2 Fan ovens...same applies to all in the range I think. 900mm 1000mm 1200mm....just a thought... :coat
Interesting. My own dual fuel Rangemaster Professional has one fan oven and one conventional oven.

I'll tell her to look in more detail at the rangemasters.

could be wrong here but

6mm twin and 32A mcb with diversity will give you up to 15kw for you ovens and if its a 6m run then could a 40A mcb be an option

so two 6mm twins i would think should be enough to cover you and if customer is suppyling do it in 10mm if it helps you sleep at night (only 6m run after all)

but i could be wrong and there can be no cursing tom1 after its all plastered up