Laying new cable in existing trays in warehouse roof trusses.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABC Technical

Reaction score
Right chaps heres one for you, I have to lay new 30A cable in an existing roof tray where I work.

My questions may have simple answers, but having NEVER done this before, I thought I would ask here as some of you are bound to have.

Apart from the obvious... Cable, Clips & fixings, Cable ties, Safety Harness, Hard Hat & other PPE and a head for heights.

Is there anything else that I would need?

Like a pulling reel & some bogies I think they are called?

Also any other tips would be appreciated.

Cheers Nige. :)

Nigel have you assessed what other cables there are on the tray? if not do so. The reason is this, cable trays like anything else can become oveloaded and very heavy, even to the point that the installation can literally collapse. If in doubt about this, contact your tray manufacturer who would be able to give you the details.

Andy Guiness Drink

Cheers for all the replies guys, unfortinatley I cannot get access to everywhere as huge machinery is in the way.

I will be mostly 80' up in a cage on a fork lift attached to a drop harness, for those areas that the fork cannot get into I will have to do as KME said & crawl along the sodding trays.

I am not looking forward to this job one bit, especially as I am scared s****less of heights.

So what about a pulling reel & some bogies?

And your employer is happy with you crawling along trays designed for cables and the HSE guidelines for work at height will allow this won't they? I think not. If I was you I would ask to see the method statement and risk assesment that your supervisor will be providing for you. The company by law must have someone responsible for safety. This is the person you need to speak to. A quick five minute job is always the job that ends in disaster because you were not wearing the correct ppe or using the correct lifting equipment(A lift in a forklift is that covered in an IPAF course or a safe means of access? I know I wouldn't trust a fork lift driver). Another point to note is IF you are not confident you shouldn't be doing it PERIOD.

There is always a safe method but not always a quick method.

Cheers for all the replies guys, unfortinatley I cannot get access to everywhere as huge machinery is in the way.I will be mostly 80' up in a cage on a fork lift attached to a drop harness, for those areas that the fork cannot get into I will have to do as KME said & crawl along the sodding trays.

I am not looking forward to this job one bit, especially as I am scared s****less of heights.

So what about a pulling reel & some bogies?
I WAS jesting, Nige. I wouldn`t suggest doing that.

As you suggested - you need something to be able to draw across the tray, and attach cable to.

pulling reel - theoretically sounds good, but, as I said, I`ve not done this sort of work either.

Not scared of heights, though!!! :)

point one

I have NEVER EVER NEVER EVER heard of anyone crawling along a CABLE tray, the clue is in the name.

I really dont think this is anywhere near safe, and I do some dodgy things, believe you me.

I wouldnt so much worry about the tray as the means of support tbh.

as for the cage in a forklift,,,,,

I have my basic IPAF and that is a totally different course you have to undertake to do that, BOTH you and the forklift driver need to have it! unlike a cherrypicker etc where only the one trained operator on the platform requires to be licenced.

as has been said , I would also like to see the method syatement and risk assement attached to this job.

sounds a little dodgy to me.

Right, thanks guys, as I said I have never done this kind of work before & after reading the last couple of posts I dont think that I will.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of your experiances. :)