leaking mains cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkss

DNO Jointer
Reaction score
just been to look at a job for a family friend, doing some testing before the work starts and noticed something.

got an old rusty mains cable coming threw floor feeding the cutout, and around the bottom of it there was a pool of what i can only explain to be like a tary grease, TNS supply with u have guessed it a standard earth clamp on, worrying thing is looks to be a DIY earth job, got a Ze of 0.25 so im wondering if the cable has been damaged doing this,

asked customer how long its been like this i got ' since bout 97 when the council came in' explained to get it looked at ect, wasn't having none of it so phoned eon my self got someone coming out within the next hour

sparkss

phoned eon my self got someone coming out within the next hour

Well done Sparkss - Let us know how it goes, Mate?. :|

just been to look at a job for a family friend, doing some testing before the work starts and noticed something. got an old rusty mains cable coming threw floor feeding the cutout, and around the bottom of it there was a pool of what i can only explain to be like a tary grease, TNS supply with u have guessed it a standard earth clamp on, worrying thing is looks to be a DIY earth job, got a Ze of 0.25 so im wondering if the cable has been damaged doing this,

asked customer how long its been like this i got ' since bout 97 when the council came in' explained to get it looked at ect, wasn't having none of it so phoned eon my self got someone coming out within the next hour

sparkss
This is the bitumin packing that used to be used in the service heads, as the loads have increased over the years the bitumin warms up and starts to drip!

I don't think its a major problem. :D

The earth clamp on the sheath is a no-no however as it can deform the sheath and is not a 'recomended' method of earthing!

It was on mine too. I said well done for being able to get the DNO out within an hour. and let us know how the earth clamp situation goes. (Is what I meant).

update, the we will be out within an hour, has now turned out to be.... they haven't even been yet, so much for a good service ill let you know what happens when they eventually turn up

Latest posts