LED bulbs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syrup

Reaction score
I have replaced all my old ceiling incandescent light bulbs with LED light bulbs all 12w, some are 4000k and some 6000k. These are on a normal 230v supply
They all work fine with the exception of one light fitting which will only work with the 4000k, the 6000k's that work in all the other fitting won't work in this one.
The switch is a standard switch, not a dimmer switch. I have checked all the connections, which are fine, and tried it with no other lights switched on.

Any help is appreciated.
Keith

Is the one that doesn't work a bayonet or screw fitting?
All bulbs are BC. All the 4000k work in all the bulb holders. All the 6000k bulbs work in all the bulb holders except the one. I can live with the 4000k in that holder, I just cannot understand why none of the 6000k will work in it.

Have you tried swapping the 6000k one that doesn't work with one that does to check you haven't got a faulty lamp

And a real long shot have you tried rotating the one that doesn't work by 180° in the lampholder just in case it is a polarity issue

Have you tried swapping the 6000k one that doesn't work with one that does to check you haven't got a faulty lamp

And a real long shot have you tried rotating the one that doesn't work by 180° in the lampholder just in case it is a polarity issue
You name it I’ve tried it. The 6000k bulbs that work in all the other holders a total of 4 won’t work in just the one holder. They come on but are dim, so there is power getting through, there is a standard non dimable light switch used. All the 4000k bulbs work in all the holders including the problem one. I’ve change the light switch and bulb holder to no avail.

As I said I’m quite happy with 4000k bulb, it’s just frustrating.

sounds like a dodgy lamp holder to me. THe connection 'blobs' on the base of lamps can be too short to make good contact, or the spring in the contact can be stiff and not making proper contact with the base of the lamp

Are these two way switching? 
Just single.

sounds like a dodgy lamp holder to me. THe connection 'blobs' on the base of lamps can be too short to make good contact, or the spring in the contact can be stiff and not making proper contact with the base of the lamp
I've replaced the bulb holder and switch. No problem with the 4000k bulbs.

What sort of light fittings are they just standard pendants from ceiling roses and are they all in different rooms.

They are standard pendants from ceiling roses except for the bathroom and cloakroom which are globe fittings, both the 6000k and 4000k work.

They are standard pendants from ceiling roses except for the bathroom and cloakroom which are globe fittings, both the 6000k and 4000k work.
So is it a standard pendant giving the problem.

So is it a standard pendant giving the problem.
Yes, but the 4000k works fine. I've tried a variety of different make of 6000k both 12w and 15w, all with the same result. The wife's said she's seen enough lightbulbs coming into the house. As we are happy with the 4000k I think it's time to call it a day.