LED Lamp - Driver board question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No; from the datasheet it appears that is a 500mA constant current driver.

I did try to set out the various parameters and degrees of freedom that must be met in my previous post.

Perhaps a local electronics repair centre could repair the existing driver or build/modify a replacement unit for you.

I see.. yeah i did wonder about that ampage being a bit higher than the orignal.

Is it possible i could just introduce a resistor into the circuit to drop down this rating to 220mA~ respectively?

If so, any chance you could provide some examples that would be sufficient? Thanks!

No. Constant current means just that - constant. A resistor will not change it.
You can use a suitable resistor to divert /dissipate some of the current away from the LED string - but this isn't going to solve the Voltage range problem here (The output voltage range is below that of the original transformer). Anyway I've given my advice in earlier posts which includes getting a competent electronics professional involved hands on if you don't want to just throw the lamp away

You can use a suitable resistor to divert /dissipate some of the current away from the LED string - but this isn't going to solve the Voltage range problem here (The output voltage range is below that of the original transformer). Anyway I've given my advice in earlier posts which includes getting a competent electronics professional involved hands on if you don't want to just throw the lamp away
Yeah I'd rather not throw it away... It was my mothers favourite lamp and can't buy it anymore as previously mentioned The Range moved on to making other stuff now.

Are you able to take a quick look at this Driver board:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/led-drivers/2122144

I believe it fits all the requirements and has a 220mA dipswitch just wanted to confirm before placing order. Many thanks for all your help.

and has a 220mA dipswitch
That is the same one you mentioned yesterday, if you read the specifications sheet, it does NOT have a 220mA switch.
It also runs at the wrong voltage :oops:

I understand your frustrations to get a driver and your reluctance to dispose of the complete light, but the sad truth is quite often products will be made for a company, to a (low) price, in order to do that often items are custom-made, and spares are not even considered.

If you put too much current through a LED or too much voltage across it, it will still work, but for a considerably shorter time. Due to greed, todays world has become a throw away society, long gone are the days of "Make do and mend" :cry:

The product twld2022 has suggested also has a 10v input so if you want to run the light more conservatively just feed it with less than 10v and it will dim the leds :)

Hers is a suitable product from a technical perspective: https://ldonline.co.uk/products/eldoled-ecodrive361a-config
Check the dimension requirements - it might be a bit larger than your previous product.
Type in the box that you want it set to 220mA when you place an order.
Thanks for providing that suggestion!

I've checked the driver board out and noticed it's rated for 30w. As Per @Bruspark previous post on page 1, he mentioned the watts would be 10w or more for these type of LEDs.

Is it safe to assume 30Watts wouldn't cause any issue here? Or should I look for a differnt model that provides 20Watts instead?

@stuboy
The product twld2022 has suggested also has a 10v input so if you want to run the light more conservatively just feed it with less than 10v and it will dim the leds
This product that was suggested also seems to have a programmable Voltage.. could i not just set it at like 5v instead? If not- how could i 'feed' it with less voltage? The old Driver board just had mains 240Vac from the outlet to the driver board.

Thanks again to all involved so far!

Last edited:
Thanks for providing that suggestion!

I've checked the driver board out and noticed it's rated for 30w. As Per @Bruspark previous post on page 1, he mentioned the watts would be 10w or more for these type of LEDs.

Is it safe to assume 30Watts wouldn't cause any issue here? Or should I look for a differnt model that provides 20Watts instead?

This product that was suggested also seems to have a programmable Voltage.. could i not just set it at like 5v instead? If not- how could i 'feed' it with less voltage? The old Driver board just had mains 240Vac from the outlet to the driver board.

Thanks again to all involved so far!
Isn't that what i said? 0-10v is the old theatre standard for dimming racks.

FWIW If you are happy to overate the LEDs by 20% there is a unit availableon ebay under item no.

164886581739 (12W 34 - 46V 240mA). If the LEDs are only running at 50% rating then no harm should occur except for a slight reduction in lifetime.
The Tridonic unit (100V 200mA) will do the job too but low voltage regs limit safe voltage to 48V.

Last edited: