Led panel lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modeno65

Reaction score
Hi all - need some advice please

I'm having my kitchen renewed and hoped to have the ceiling covered with upvc cladding.
I'm looking to install led light panels intead of the normal down lights
Can I install these tight up to the existing ceiling or should a gap be left?obviously the cladding will create a small gap but will this be enough

Cheers

As above but can you show the type of fitting you are considering.

True - I just wondered whether there was a standard minimum depth that may mean that the idea is a non starter. Research is required I guess

The panel I have seen (online) is from b&q. There are probably better ones available but this is my start point. It fits 3 ways - clipped or suspended but I would like it to lie level with the cladding so I guess it would be clipped to the cladding frame.

Mod GP06636S3B
Prod code 3663602805076

As I say this is just the first I've looked at - any alternative advice would be great

According to the info it can be mounted direct to the ceiling but check it has the necessary parts to do so. The driver will have to go in the void so check you are going to leave adequate space.

Been doing some research, it seems the online information is wrong. You can flush mount them if you cut a hole in the ceiling (I wouldn't as what happens when you need to change the fitting, and it's obsolete)
It seems that you mount the fitting by its 4 corners (2 folk said cut the side of the box out, put the light on it, draw round it and mark the mounting holes, then use the box as template) You then put long screws through the corner holes and tighten them up, but it will never make it flush. One person used the brackets, bent them out and screwed through into the ceiling, another person put hooks in the ceiling and hung the lights by its brackets.
The LED driver can't be put in the ceiling void as it only has a short cable, and if you extend it, the lights get in the way, so it can not be truly flush.
Also note, it is NOT dimmable, but it does use the "flicky switch" option. You flick the switch off then on again and each on time reduces the brightness. It has 100%, 50% and 10% options. I don't know if it comes back on at it's last setting.

Good info I think a wholesaler would be the best bet and obtain the ceiling mounting kit.