Led Pond Lights With 18V Transformer And Co-Axial Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoyceS

Reaction score
Hi, we were recently given a set of two underwater pond lights with transformer.  (The mains part with transformer is plugged in in the conservatory).  Unfortunately, the cable from the transformer to the lights is about a meter too short for where we want to place the lights.  But oddly, it is co-axial.  (We have only met this in TV type-things before).  Can we make a joint in the cable, using a length of TV co-axial and joiners? We have seen YouTube videos on how to do this. The plan is not to put the joins under water, but in a protected box, under decking, with only the original cables in the water.  We do not want to tamper with the cable entry to the lights themselves as this is well sealed.  Advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

There should be no electrical problem, just invaildate any warrantee for your equipment. 'Normal' 2 core cable would be ok to use, the coaxial type is cheaper for the manufacturers. Just make sure you use the same size  or bigger cable , that is the copper bit not the plastic.

Do the light cables join the transformer using a plug and socket? or solid?

If solid, you may have to use 2 external rated junction boxes per light cable to piece a new meter of cable in each.

Is it possible to bring the cables through the conservatory wall at a nearer position, and move the power to the transformer nearer to the entry point (extension lead?)?

Edit; or move the pond. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help but think they sound like some lights I have. About 2 inches across just under an inch tall?

(I would add a pic but I can't remember how)