LED replacements ...I was astonished ....nay flabbergasted !!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Printing company I look after  instructed me  not to maintain fluorescents  but replace with LED  ...so  been doing that for two years  .    One area has a suspended ceiling  with  many  1200 X 600 x 4  tube  lay in mods ....last week he  said  there s 13 left  , generally with one tube still working ,    change them all now .     So I did that this week . 

A year ago I read the current on the lighting board for that area  at  24 amps  ............   read it today ....all fluorescents  now LED    600  x 600  x 30w     fitts  .

Today's  reading   5 amps   :Chairfall   

Yes astonishing isn;t it.

I used to HATE downlighters, mainly because it used to break my hear to remove a 42W flourescent and replace it with 300W of halogen bulbs.

Our whole house is LED lighting and if every single light is turned on, it's still under 200W, under 1 amp.

And in 2 years, not a single LED lamp has failed.

On my little project we are lighting the main warehouse with Ansell LED hiBays with microwave sensors and some also with emergency pack. They are fantastic! 150W each mounted at 11.5 m AFFL. Site contractor has fitted 200w LED hiBays in the smaller units at height of 5.5m...they are absolute 💩 light output is dire and about 1/4 of the output of the Ansell units. Design is so poor that each set of 4 LED chips has a magnifying lens over it!  I'll try to get some pics tomorrow

Think how much is saved countrywide on street lighting now they've gone over to LED pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's still a lot of lettuced LED products around, but you can't argue with the energy savings. I musthave all of 100w max lighting running of an evening, and to think, not so long ago we were fitting 250/500 halogen security floodlights

there's still a lot of lettuced LED products around, but you can't argue with the energy savings. I musthave all of 100w max lighting running of an evening, and to think, not so long ago we were fitting 250/500 halogen security floodlights

I don't disagree but there are lots of rubbish led sealed units which get binned .... Where as in the past a bulb / lamp could be changed

What is the ecological cost of all the mouldings and waste ?

In the rush for "more efficient LEDs" the approach of overdriving the LEDs, underspec'ing the drivers  and inflating the light output and lifetime specs appears to be the chosen route for many.  Rarely have I seen a LED taking it's full rated current , especially the far eastern variety . . 

In the rush for "more efficient LEDs" the approach of over driving the LEDs, underspec'ing the drivers  and inflating the light output and lifetime specs appears to be the chosen route for many.  Rarely have I seen a LED taking it's full rated current , especially the far eastern variety . . 

coupled with awful build quality = unreliable products

I don't disagree but there are lots of rubbish led sealed units which get binned .... Where as in the past a bulb / lamp could be changed

What is the ecological cost of all the mouldings and waste ?
I prefer standard GU10 versions as well. I'm converting a load of halogens this week, using GU10 lamp holders and lamps - saves a small fortune! 

Latest posts