LED's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Afternoon boys & girls all well I hope :)

I have a little job on the go (first fix) wiring out a loft conversion, customer has now asked for 8x led's in the skeeling (zone1) above the bath...anybody got some recomendations for bathroom led's?

Just to make it a real pain in the **** got to get round the celotex insulation in the skeelings :(

We've been experimenting at work with lo-energy GU10 replacements.

1st thing is that most of them won't fit flush into exsisting downligh fittings. :(

We've tried:

1. Cold Cathode. Gives out a light that is almost 'moonlight', not recomended for bathrooms.

2. GU10 CFL's. The megaman ones are good but you don't get the 'tungsten' colour temperature.

3. Multi LED versions. A very white light but their output sucks!

4. Single LED. These are good, a very bright light but the angle of distribution can be quite narrow. Such as this.

However the single lamp LED's generate a lot of heat (as can be seen from the size of the heat sink on the above example) and I'm not sure how they would cope with being sealed into a Zone 1 or 2 bathroom fitting!

Osram are doing a 35W Decostar halogen that promises the equivalent output of a 50W version. They also do a 20W version too. See here.

Hello m107

I havn't had much to do with led's. I didn't think you would get the light output at present from them. I have used snaplite low voltage downlights on quite a few jobs in celotex ceilings with no probs. They do ip rated versions as well. Their website is www.snaplite.co.uk.

batty

4. Single LED. These are good, a very bright light but the angle of distribution can be quite narrow. Such as this.
Interesting.

However, I note that the spec gives no indication of the lumen output. I wonder why not?

Interesting.However, I note that the spec gives no indication of the lumen output. I wonder why not?
I've not seen a low energy light that can match the lumen output of a 50W halogen yet. So it's a choice of low energy but with more fittings to give a comparable lumen output for less halogen fittings.

Horses for courses........

I haven't seen Organic LED's in fittings yet. Could you post a link?