Light help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtom66

Reaction score
In my kitchen I have 2 lights that seem to be on 2 different circuits one switch at each end of the room when I turn one side on the other side goes on ! And vice versa. (Not sure of the term)

I want to add a outside light(led 30w) for the rear of my garden and hoped I could piggy back off the switch at the back of the kitchen and add a switch/power for the outside light. 
This simple/terrible diagram shows the lighting situation .

Any electricians on here can tell me if I can even do what I wanted to do ? I have had a try and obviously  when I try and piggy back off the switches the kitchen lights turn on/off.

Any help is greatly appreciated 
Thanks

im not sure how to add a picture on here will try to figure it out now thanks

Tomtom66 said:
In my kitchen I have 2 lights that seem to be on 2 different circuits one switch at each end of the room when I turn one side on the other side goes off ! And vice versa. (Not sure of the term)

I want to add a outside light(led 30w) for the rear of my garden and hoped I could piggy back off the switch at the back of the kitchen and add a switch/power for the outside light. 
This simple/terrible diagram shows the lighting situation .

Any electricians on here can tell me if I can even do what I wanted to do ? I have had a try and obviously  when I try and piggy back off the switches the kitchen lights turn on/off.

Any help is greatly appreciated 
Thanks

im not sure how to add a picture on here will try to figure it out now thanks

What you have is called 2 way switching.

Regardless of that, whether you can tap off a light switch to get a feed to another light depends on whether there is a neutral connection there.  That is nothing to do with 1 way ot 2 way switching but whether it is wired loop at light or loop at switch.

A photo of the wiring behind the switch you are hoping to use would answer that.  As a new member you would have to upload it to an image hosting site then post a link to the picture.