Light on exterior of house etc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgjudd

Reaction score
hi, i am currently doing my major for initial inspection for the nic, it is a consumer unit replacement for my father in law, who is 86 years old.i didn't do a pir and hence found a mountain of problems to put right within the house. i have a few questions in that the cabling is all now pvc but a few runs are stranded pvc type, provided they meet insulation res tests and zs tests can i ok the circuit. the old guy thought he was doing me a favour letting me do the consumer unit and i would hate to start ripping the house apart any more than neccessary. also a metal outside light (unearthed) needs replacing can i have a few inches of pvc cable exposed or must it be swa. By the way the consumer unit is a 17th edition split rcd , with all circuits now protected by rcd, the earthing arrangement is tt, which obviously bares upon zs requirements

all help (not kicks to the gooloes)appreciated

chrisgjudd

Welcome to the forum M8..

Stranded or solid PVC, is fine as long as the IR/Zs etc tests are OK.

The metal outside light with no earth, should have a new cable (you indicated T&E)...

The exposed T&E outside, well ideally should be capped or placed in trunking/pvc conduit.

Hopes this helps..

Kev

(Extension15)

My boys often come across stranded PVC cable, not an issue, if anything a lower Zs (increased csa), can often be measured.

Don

hi, i am currently doing my major for initial inspection for the nic, it is a consumer unit replacement for my father in law, who is 86 years old.i didn't do a pir and hence found a mountain of problems to put right within the house. i have a few questions in that the cabling is all now pvc but a few runs are stranded pvc type, provided they meet insulation res tests and zs tests can i ok the circuit. the old guy thought he was doing me a favour letting me do the consumer unit and i would hate to start ripping the house apart any more than neccessary. also a metal outside light (unearthed) needs replacing can i have a few inches of pvc cable exposed or must it be swa. By the way the consumer unit is a 17th edition split rcd , with all circuits now protected by rcd, the earthing arrangement is tt, which obviously bares upon zs requirementsall help (not kicks to the gooloes)appreciated

chrisgjudd
Hello M8

Welcome.

1) Panic not!!! :D

2) Bin there dont that got the T-shirt as they say..

The work you are submitting as example for NICEIC assement is

"The Consumer Unit Change".... Not a rewire... or replacment of any circuits..

3) There is NO obligation to have to do a PIR. and no obligation to recfify every single anomily you can find!

I used my parents house CU replacement as one of my first jobs to inspect.

I wasn't originally going to but one of my other customers told me access would be tricky with only a few days notice...

had to do a quick reschedule which can be difficult..

but new I could easily get access to my parents house!

That had loads of bad workmanship scattered around on various circuits..wot my dad had done.. {bless!!! :( }.. such as wiring to some lights in garage with no sheathing over them:_|

I had no time to put anything write...

But I diddn't need to..

cuz as the very nice man from the NICEIC said..

"The work you did was the Consumer Unit replacement!!!"

As long as the installation is safer now than before you did your changes,

and all your work is correct...

and you can show competence & knowledge of BS7671.

you should be fine! :)

The essental things to be done are:-

1) All earthing & bonding is correct. warning signs intact!

2) The box is all correctly labeled.

3) you have correctly filled out the relevent certificate.

4) make sure there are some easy accessible circuits for doing dead & live tests.

5) make sure you can talk through and perform safe issolation, when the NIC guy asks you to open up the CU.

Remember to prove the installtion is dead. then that your tester is still working after proving dead!!!!

6) Have all your paperwork ready.

7) Be able to answer and justify your answers when you do something... such as he'll ask you to do a test... then ask how do you know if that result is good/bad/accept/fail ???

{i.e. know where to find main tables or regs etc.. relating to max zs, max rcd trip times.. etc.}

8) organise a cup of tea & a buiscuit! :D

Remember: If this work was just any pensioner (not your dad) they may have limited finance to do work with

and could quite realisticaly be doing improvements phased over 2 or 3 years.. e.g. CU yr1, Sockets Yr2, Lights Yr3 etc..

NICEIC cannot force anyone to have everything done in one go!

I know it can be very stressfull and you end up where you cant se the wood for the trees..... but keep it back to basics...

The NICEIC want you as thier customer!!!

From my experience the inspectors are actually quite friendly and helpfull! :)

Other tips:

1) In the "comments on the exsiting installation" note down your observations about areas requiring further attention,

or if there are loads reference it to an additional sheet.

2) If you are very concerned about some circuits put a reduced next inspection date interval less than 10 years whatever you feel appropriate?

3) normally they do two inspections per day... they dont have loads of time for looking at work you havent done! it achieves nothing!

4) Double check your completed certificate, tick boxes, signatures, n/a areas etc..

hope this helps?

I probably missed somthin off:O

I will add it later if I think of anyhting? ; \ :)

best of luck M8

SL

That had loads of bad workmanship scattered around on various circuits..wot my dad had done.. {bless!!! :( }.. such as wiring to some lights in garage with no sheathing over them:_|
Sounds exactly like my dad! Found him feeding a outside light via a socket with a live plug! :_|

Sounds exactly like my dad! Found him feeding a outside light via a socket with a live plug! :_|
It must be an age thing???

Back when I were a lad......

in the war....

we had to make do with what we could get hold of!!!!!!!!!!

wire them sockets with wet string resting along a bit of 2x1 softwood!! :( :(

hope this helps?

I probably missed somthin off

I will add it later if I think of anyhting?

best of luck M8

SL

I knew I would and I did...

Other bits of paperwork you need....

1) complaints procedure.

even though you most likely dont have any complaints..

you need some sheets & procedures ready in case anyone does complain..

and you can honestly say.

'yes mr NIC here is my complaints procedure and reports':D

2) health & safety policy / risk assesment. much the same as with complaints.. but the sheets do have spaces for company names & relevent responsible staff... which for a sole trader is you. you.. you.... you.. and you!!!!!!!!!

3) records of test instument accuracy.. (proving between any formal calibration period)

1 & 2 can be downloaded from the NICEIC website..

there is an example of 3 on the website

but you can easily make up your own sheet on word no probs!

get a new ring binder file with some pretty dividers.

& stick them all in sections in there. :D :D

I am of the opinion that you are more likely to be classed as non-compliant, (you dont pass or fail), if your paperwork is wrong...

than if some wiring you didn't do on the installation is incorrect? :)

well i am gobsmacked really nice of you and all the other guys to take trouble to reply, will try to reciptocate as my experience grows.

chrisgjudd

well i am gobsmacked really nice of you and all the other guys to take trouble to reply, will try to reciptocate as my experience grows.chrisgjudd
That's what forums are for, my friend.

Don