Light switch move inspection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use Wago 222 and 773 they are classed as maintanance free and are better than chock block. The comments made in previous posts are correct. If in doubt turn everything off. Ideally you need to do what they call dead tests before energising the circuit and because you rerunning “unprotected cables behind plaster board current regs say they should be RCD connected. so you could use an RCBO or move the MCB onto an RCD protected part of the board. You can pay a suitably qualified electrician to test and certificate your work (don’t cover the old switch until inspected). I would also suggest if you do cover and plaster over old switch, measure and write down position and put a note with the certificate.

Turn all rcds off if the lights remain on then they do not. Any additions or alterations are almost certainly likely to require it in a dwelling.
I have just tested and light circuit mcb at slot 17 is not feeding off/connected to rcbo in slot 1 and 2. Thank you for mentioning that! I will need to rectify it as the last time I painted the corridor I undone brushed steel light switch and touched accidentally during painting live wire at com terminal when trying to move it and got a shock that lasted a few seconds and I was surprised that rcd didn't kick in and it was hard to pull myself away, I assume grounding of the light switch itself helped me to release it. I was suicidal at that time and wasn't careful, normally i disconnect or apply electrical tape around the contacts.
I have 2 light circuits, kitchen cooker, smoke alarms/attic lights that are not on rcd. Should a smoke sensors/attic lights circuit be on rcd as well? I just do not want smoke sensors to be disconnected and a bit surprised why attic lights connected to the same circuit.
ElectricalDistribuitionPanelWithMCBs.jpgElectricalDistribuitionPanel_MAP.jpg

You should be able to replace the mcb with an rcbo although yours isn't a standard configuration consumer unit it should fit. Are you in the UK. Just to add if there are any circuit faults or crossed neutrals with other circuits the rcbo will trip.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...UcSJyi-nUQlynjHCp1M-m3eZaDSh1S5xoCiwIQAvD_BwE
I am based in Dublin/Ireland. I think I will not put rcbo on smoke detector circuit but will put rcbo on light circuits and ask electrician to verify.
As far as I can see in distribution board every neutral that is connected to top neutral terminal block are on rcd and the ones at the bottom are not. I disabled all rcds at slots 1-2, 19-22 but light was still on. I will ask electrician to check what circuits share the neutral with smoke detectors.
Thank you for all the help!
20220305_145843.jpg

If you use Wago 222 and 773 they are classed as maintanance free and are better than chock block. The comments made in previous posts are correct. If in doubt turn everything off. Ideally you need to do what they call dead tests before energising the circuit and because you rerunning “unprotected cables behind plaster board current regs say they should be RCD connected. so you could use an RCBO or move the MCB onto an RCD protected part of the board. You can pay a suitably qualified electrician to test and certificate your work (don’t cover the old switch until inspected). I would also suggest if you do cover and plaster over old switch, measure and write down position and put a note with the certificate.
Thank you for all the details regarding this and sorry for not replying sooner, I missed your post .
My wife wanted it to be covered with plasterboard but I wasn't sure regarding permanent connections. I think I will go for your suggestion with wago connectors, move mcb to rcd and leave everything accessible until certified and tested.
I also have one place in the house where socket cables were extended and hidden behind radiator and plasterboard during covid lock down. Would it also certify to use wago connectors and cover behind plasterboard or would you advise to leave a blank behind radiator on the wall?

Being in Southern Ireland you will need a REC to change the circuit breaker do it yourself and you would be breaking the law. It is possible what you have already done breaks the law.

Last edited:
Cables don't know what colour they are. Brown cables may be line or switched live or anything else with a sleeve on it.

Being in Southern Ireland you will need a REC to change the circuit breaker do it yourself and you would be breaking the law. It is possible what you have already done breaks the law.
Thank you for the information, I will leave it at that so.

Thank you for all the details regarding this and sorry for not replying sooner, I missed your post .
My wife wanted it to be covered with plasterboard but I wasn't sure regarding permanent connections. I think I will go for your suggestion with wago connectors, move mcb to rcd and leave everything accessible until certified and tested.
I also have one place in the house where socket cables were extended and hidden behind radiator and plasterboard during covid lock down. Would it also certify to use wago connectors and cover behind plasterboard or would you advise to leave a blank behind radiator on the wall?
Yes, I would Change the blanked Socket chock block for Wago’s. It is important that you inform the Electrician who is testing and inspecting your work about your mod as he will need to check wring continuity and Earth loop. I don’t know the laws in Ireland but you have already done the mod so have nothing to lose and you will know it is safer. Good luck

Yes, I would Change the blanked Socket chock block for Wago’s. It is important that you inform the Electrician who is testing and inspecting your work about your mod as he will need to check wring continuity and Earth loop. I don’t know the laws in Ireland but you have already done the mod so have nothing to lose and you will know it is safer. Good luck
Thank you for the advice Mike