Light works but extractor in EnSuite isn't

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob2020

Reaction score
Good Evening

I recently removed and replaced a ceiling rose light with a new light that has a metal base, In my old property I had three cables so it threw me a bit when this property only had 2 twin & earth cables.

When I initially wired the light I thought it would just be a case of matching the corresponding wires with the Live, Earth & Neutral on the light but as I found out this just meant that when I flicked the power back on the light stayed on all the time, Home DIY'r at its best 😞

I went back and placed just the switch live into the live and left the others in the corresponding ports (as per pictures), the two live wires I had left I place in a WAGO connector.

So my light now does work as expected but the two wires I have left must have something to do with the extractor in the ensuite as that doesn't come on now, the lights in there do work though however.

My question is based on my picture could someone tell me what I need to do to wire it correctly so that both my light and the extractor work as they did before when it was connected to the ceiling rose.

Thanks in advance

20210314_180605_resized.jpg

If that is all you have at the light fitting, then the fan is not connected via the light fitting so your change of light has not caused the problem.

Check for the obvious that you have not accidentally turned off the fan isolator switch?

If that is all you have at the light fitting, then the fan is not connected via the light fitting so your change of light has not caused the problem.

Check for the obvious that you have not accidentally turned off the fan isolator switch?
Good Evening 

Thanks for your reply.

That was my first thought but that was switched on still.

It may just be coincidence that it worked before and now with the new light it doesn't.

All the cables were used in the ceiling rose that was originally there. 

All the cables were used in the ceiling rose that was originally there. 
That surely has to be the root of your problem then.  They need to go back as they were before, so its just a case of figuring out how it was.

I don't expect you took a photo, or made a sketch before you started?

It looks likely to me that the two brown wires you have left over are supposed to be together, but that's a sheer guess without understanding the wiring layout, (which seems unconventional).

Am I correct in thinking that this light is just an independent light, which did NOT bring on the extractor fan?

Does the fan have a timed run-on function, or does it, (did it)  only run whilst the en-suite light is on?

Is it an accessible loft above, so that you could visually check the cable routings?

Do you have any kind of test meter?

That surely has to be the root of your problem then.  They need to go back as they were before, so its just a case of figuring out how it was.

I don't expect you took a photo, or made a sketch before you started?

It looks likely to me that the two brown wires you have left over are supposed to be together, but that's a sheer guess without understanding the wiring layout, (which seems unconventional).

Am I correct in thinking that this light is just an independent light, which did NOT bring on the extractor fan?

Does the fan have a timed run-on function, or does it, (did it)  only run whilst the en-suite light is on?

Is it an accessible loft above, so that you could visually check the cable routings?

Do you have any kind of test meter?

Hi thanks for your reply

I plan to reinstate the original ceiling rose to test, on there the two lives went into the loop terminal, neutral as expected and switch live was in the live terminal.

Would the two lives that were in the loop have made a difference? I have them in a wago currently.

The light is in the bedroom and the combined light extractor is in the ensuite, they seemed to function separately, the extractor only came on when the ensuite light switch was turned on.

I have taken a picture of the extractor\light in the ensuite and the switch that used to activate it.

The lights go on but the extractor doesn't.

20210315_084638_resized.jpg

20210315_085904_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If there really were only ever those two 2 core and earth cables at the ceiling rose, then your problem is somewhere else.

OR was there a third 2 core and earth cable at the original ceiling rose that has not got re connected?

You will solve this very quickly by going up into the loft, finding the fan in the loft and physically following the cable from it to see where it goes.

Does the shower light come on or is that also not working like the fan?

on there the two lives went into the loop terminal, n
Do you mean that the two "spare" browns were connected together?  If so are you sure that the block you refer to a a wago does that?   It looks from the photo to be a 3 pole terminal block.

It's hard to figure just how its been wired.

Ideally, physically tracing the wires in the loft is best solution.

Thanks for your replies, Luckily I have an easily accessible eaves so ill have a look.

Geoff - As far as I remember the two lives were in the loop terminals separately.

Dave - There were def only 2 cables,  the picture of the extractor above is after the change, the light works but the extractor doesn't. 

As far as I remember the two lives were in the loop terminals separately.
That's what's bothering me in your comments. 

Loop connections are, by definition, connected together. Examine the ceiling rose you removed, if you can recall where they were connected.  This again demonstrates the value of a "before" photo.

If so are you sure that the block you refer to a a wago does that?   It looks from the photo to be a 3 pole terminal block.

It looks like a standard 3lever wago, (pictured from behind) 

which has all connections common together...

e.g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-3-way-lever-connector-221-series-32a-pack-of-50/2803r

But  zooming in, I am not 100% sure both wires are stripped back enough and inserted sufficiently into the Wago?

you should be able to see the copper conductor through the clear part at the end of the Wago..

I can't see much conductor on the bottom brown wire?

wago 3 level.JPG  

Guinness

Geoff - As far as I remember the two lives were in the loop terminals separately.

I assuming you mean there were into separate screw terminals, part of the same three terminal loop block that is normally fitted in a ceiling rose..

(2 terminal block for switch live,  3 terminal block for neutrals, 3 terminal block for live loop, 1 stud or large block for earths)

In which case they were joined together.

Guinness

Unless some person in the past has used an earth cable as a phase conductor!!
The fan will be double insulated so someone thought Don’t need the earth I will use it as the switched fan feed!!

Last edited: