Lighting and Emergency Lighting scenario

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Reaction score
Hi Good Afternoon Im hoping someone can help with the following :

A new lighting circuit is to be installed which includes 3 Emergency lights and 15 Recessed Fittings.

No neon is required at the switch so no mains are required to be ran to the switch

My supervisor advised me how he planned to wire it and I want to ensure I understand it fully.

He suggested the following

[*]Twin and Earth from DB to the first Gregg i.e Line to Loop and Neutral to N

[*]A 3 Core and Earth from the Gregg back to switch, he advised this is so we have an Emergency Live (Black) Permanent Live (Brown) and a switch Live(Grey) at the Gregg

[/list

Is this how I would wire the 3 core from the Gregg to the switch ?

Brown into Common on the switch and connected to Loop with Brown from the T&E from the DB (this means I have 240V at Com on switch)

Grey into L1 on switch and to Live on the Gregg

Black into L1 on the Emergency and to Loop on the Gregg ?

Then for the next light I would take a T&E from the Gregg Live and N to Live and N on the next Gregg..

However If the next Gregg was an Emergency then am I right in saying I would take the black from Loop to Live on the Gregg ?

lol sorry , Zeespark is correct , can anyone help with the scenario ?

Is the switch position to be a normal 1 way and also to have a Key switch to operate EMs?

I'm sorry Mr T , don't take offence but I lost the will to live while reading your OP.

1) Emergency lighting require a key switch in the circuit for testing.

Just wire it to include them.

2) Unless I'm mistaken , emergency lights cannot be supplied via a plug-in rose (Gregg) as the plug could be inadvertently removed .

I'm sorry Mr T , don't take offence but I lost the will to live while reading your OP. 1) Emergency lighting require a key switch in the circuit for testing.

2) Unless I'm mistaken , emergency lights cannot be supplied via a plug-in rose (Gregg) as the plug could be inadvertently removed .
Klik etc is made with a 4 pin red version for em lighting

I know , Andy, I can't remember where I got it from but have hard wired them for yonks now. I'll try to find out, it may, after all, be ballcocks.

Used to do a lot of hospital and police work, it may have been part of their spec.

Is the switch position to be a normal 1 way and also to have a Key switch to operate EMs?
Hi Tim

its going to be a 2 way switch and an emergency key switch

I'm sorry Mr T , don't take offence but I lost the will to live while reading your OP. 1) Emergency lighting require a key switch in the circuit for testing.

2) Unless I'm mistaken , emergency lights cannot be supplied via a plug-in rose (Gregg) as the plug could be inadvertently removed .[/quote

Sorry to bore you :eek: however my post was intended to confirm to the reader what cables I would have at the ceiling rose and the switch..

p.s I did try to add the text with bullet points :)

Hi Mr T

Yup that sounds ok, is there only 1 Em light? I take it these are MAINTAINED FITTINGS i.e. 1 fitting with Normal lighting switched feed and Normally permenant feed for Em light pack switched OFF by key switch

So the set up is a permanent 230 volt spply comes to 1st Gregg feeds to switch position 2 switched feeds back to gregg one for Ems and one for normal lighting. If more then 1 Em fitting then you will need to provide 3 core from ist gregg to the last one on the circuit to provide 2 switched lives and nuetral.

Ok?

Somehow you deleted the closed bracket at the end

He suggested the following

• Twin and Earth from DB to the first Gregg i.e Line to Loop and Neutral to NA 3 Core and Earth from the Gregg back to switch, he advised this is so we have an Emergency Live (Black) Permanent Live (Brown) and a switch Live(Grey) at the Gregg

:D

2) Unless I'm mistaken , emergency lights cannot be supplied via a plug-in rose (Gregg) as the plug could be inadvertently removed .[/quote

Sorry to bore you :eek: however my post was intended to confirm to the reader what cables I would have at the ceiling rose and the switch..

Not boring me Mr T , its an interesting thread, probably more my fault than yours , I just lost the plot following your description , thats why I was trying to simplify it for you.

Basically get an extra switch wire up from the switch to your Em.Lts. and pass it through a key switch.

A neon is sometimes used at the switch position to warn that the key is in the test position , so that would need a neutral.

As I said , not being critical . ;)

Not boring me Mr T , its an interesting thread, probably more my fault than yours , I just lost the plot following your description , thats why I was trying to simplify it for you.

Basically get an extra switch wire up from the switch to your Em.Lts. and pass it through a key switch.

A neon is sometimes used at the switch position to warn that the key is in the test position , so that would need a neutral.

As I said , not being critical . ;)
thats OK

in the scenario we have there is no Neon at the switch so unlike previous installations I dont need a neutral at the switch..

The way I see it Id take t&e to the ceiling rose and a 3 core from the ceiling rose down to the switch , this way Id have brown (permanent live) black (emergency live) and Grey (switched live) at the switch which picks up the switched live, emergency live and the common at the switch

does this sound right to you ? :C