Lighting bodge

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate asked me the other week to replace his dads light fitting (brass chandlier style) for a light with fan blades in the master bedroom. This was also a polished brass fitting.So I remove original fitting and hey presto no cpc on lighting circuit and thats the same for downstairs lighting circuit as well.

So I advise accordingly and refuse to fit fan light and put up a plastic pendant for them. They agreed to this at the time but were lreally ooking forward to having the new fitting installed. However they dont want to pay at present for rewire of lighting ccts.

Anyway this week I have heard from my friend that his dads next door neighbour (auto electrician) has drilled through the party wall in loft, taken cpc from his lighting circuit as his house has been rewired and then fitted the fan light for him....he thinks I am making a big fuss over not fitting the light and there is always an easy workable solution to a problem.

Cant believe I was prepared to help them out, worked conscientiously and now they are ****ging me off behind my backX(
I wonder if he will come round sort out a little job for me too.

Im sure i dont have a phase at my 17 3Kw heaters, wonder if he could pick one up for me from next door.??????????

my plants are starting to wilt........ :eek:

I see that this has been on for a while but only just joined. I agree with others that you did the right thing. Usually the supply to the house next door is on a different phase from the network so it could be possible ( though unlikley) that a fault voltage could flow from next door on the red phase say, while the other house is on the blue phase and introducing 415 volts to the light fitting.

Well it could happen !!!

Deke