Lighting bodge

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mate asked me the other week to replace his dads light fitting (brass chandlier style) for a light with fan blades in the master bedroom. This was also a polished brass fitting.

So I remove original fitting and hey presto no cpc on lighting circuit and thats the same for downstairs lighting circuit as well.

So I advise accordingly and refuse to fit fan light and put up a plastic pendant for them. They agreed to this at the time but were lreally ooking forward to having the new fitting installed. However they dont want to pay at present for rewire of lighting ccts.

Anyway this week I have heard from my friend that his dads next door neighbour (auto electrician) has drilled through the party wall in loft, taken cpc from his lighting circuit as his house has been rewired and then fitted the fan light for him....he thinks I am making a big fuss over not fitting the light and there is always an easy workable solution to a problem.

Cant believe I was prepared to help them out, worked conscientiously and now they are ****ging me off behind my backX(

People will do what they want to do! :( No matter what advice you give someone always knows better! Just forget about it, his dads made the choice, you can't change it.

You've done the right thing, they haven't!

Mate asked me the other week to replace his dads light fitting (brass chandlier style) for a light with fan blades in the master bedroom. This was also a polished brass fitting.So I remove original fitting and hey presto no cpc on lighting circuit and thats the same for downstairs lighting circuit as well.

So I advise accordingly and refuse to fit fan light and put up a plastic pendant for them. They agreed to this at the time but were lreally ooking forward to having the new fitting installed. However they dont want to pay at present for rewire of lighting ccts.

Anyway this week I have heard from my friend that his dads next door neighbour (auto electrician) has drilled through the party wall in loft, taken cpc from his lighting circuit as his house has been rewired and then fitted the fan light for him....he thinks I am making a big fuss over not fitting the light and there is always an easy workable solution to a problem.

Cant believe I was prepared to help them out, worked conscientiously and now they are ****ging me off behind my backX(
unbelievable !!!!!!!!

hold your head up high mate your the spark you did the right thing

go and find this auto electricians car and bond it to a lamp post !!!!!!

unbelievable !!!!!!!!hold your head up high mate your the spark you did the right thing

Hehehe that is pure eefil, but I like it. :^O

Perhaps I should see if my dog wants to bond to his car instead of the lamp post.

Cheers guys for the replies, you,ve made me feel a lot better:D

unbelievable !!!!!!!!hold your head up high mate your the spark you did the right thing

PMSL :^O :^O:^O

Mate asked me the other week to replace his dads light fitting (brass chandlier style) for a light with fan blades in the master bedroom. This was also a polished brass fitting.So I remove original fitting and hey presto no cpc on lighting circuit and thats the same for downstairs lighting circuit as well.

Have they got a M.W.Cert? ?:|

ask if you can pop back to check R1, R2 for them... :eek:

take a long lead run round to next door! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

On a more sensible note...

I would use the above experience as a learning excersie...

{1} re' the above type of scenario..

when you come across an installation with no CPC.

do you put a sticker on the fuse box such as...

one of these.. or similar?

{2} Was there no where you could have picked up a local earth to provide a means of earthing the metal fitting?

e.g. through loft space to an airing cupboard & immersion heater supply earth, or similar?

The NICEIC best practise guide, does suggest.. replacing metal fitting with classII or separately earth metal fitting!

Page 6: "if customer will not agree to installation of cpc's

then...

Provide elec cert with relevant comment on installation! ?:|

customers got what they want..

you have done the best you can.. :D

its safer that earthing to the neighbours!: :^O

People will do what they want to do! :( No matter what advice you give someone always knows better! Just forget about it, his dads made the choice, you can't change it.You've done the right thing, they haven't!
Wholehearted agreement. I`d also be interested in finding out where this auto-sparx works. If thats his idea of a solution to a problem, I wouldn`t want him doing my car......

Wholehearted agreement. I`d also be interested in finding out where this auto-sparx works. If thats his idea of a solution to a problem, I wouldn`t want him doing my car......
I think I saw one of his jobs the other day..

two cars travelling down the M5...

with some wires dangling between them...

Lights on the one were switched from the other..

and the heated rear window on the second was switched from the first..

cus one had a dodgy switch & the other had a dodgy battery..

he thought it was a good fix! ; \ ; \ ; \ ;) :D

I think I saw one of his jobs the other day..two cars travelling down the M5...

with some wires dangling between them...

Lights on the one were switched from the other..

and the heated rear window on the second was switched from the first..

cus one had a dodgy switch & the other had a dodgy battery..

he thought it was a good fix! ; \ ; \ ; \ ;) :D
:^O

Thanks Special Location for the info, definately some interesting points to consider in that link.

1. As for picking up an earth point from another cct didnt think I was allowed to do that.

2. From the guide it looks like 30ma RCD and warning stickers placed on the CU would have been ok as the light fitting was not really near any extraneous metal...however the cu looked quite old so probably wouldnt get rcd switch for it darn cant remember the make...not really bothered now but good for future situations.

I think I saw those 2 cars on the M5, both Audi A3's bought from Carcraft on special offer buy one get one free.(Anyone see the programme last week about carcrafts dodgy warranty). Right bodge that is, should of used armoured so at least when the one car breaks down the other has got some chance of towing it back home. :^O

Thanks Special Location for the info, definately some interesting points to consider in that link.1. As for picking up an earth point from another cct didn't think I was allowed to do that.
Hi Bc

I would agree its is not the best or preferred method..

But better to have an earth to the nearest suitable connectiion...

than no earth at all?..... earth is earth is earth!

It is not a lot different from supplementary bonding in bathrooms where there could be an earth bonding between shower, shaver outlet, light fitting, wall heater which are on different circuits but combine together.

As said it is a personal value judgement the individual spark will make when assessing a specific installation problem.

main objective: Safety of users, buildings & livestock! ;)

{2} Was there no where you could have picked up a local earth to provide a means of earthing the metal fitting?e.g. through loft space to an airing cupboard & immersion heater supply earth, or similar
Advised a bathroom fitter/plumber to do just such a thing today (well from the socket on the landing)..................he looked at me as if I was some sort of village idiot, then came out with "but I cant use that to bond the pipework as its not a circuit in the bathroom"? :|

Anyway I've got the job of swapping the cu, but customer doesnt want lighting circuit rewired (no cpc) so it's class 2 fittings all round:p

best part plumber is defined scope so wants to do the lights (recessed elv's)....you crack on me old son....& dont forget the supplimentary bonding:^O

Night mate................I'm doing the same so shall bid you all farewell for now.

Some may say that.....But I couldn't possibly comment!

But it was really busy until they heard you were coming back on line!! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O
And the only person that can confirm or deny if you pong or not is: ABC, as he is the only one that has met you.

:^O