lighting circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daryl631

Reaction score
Hi guys in middle of wiring new double extension and fitting new consumer unit ,i have tested all circuits in old installation lights not sepparated upstairs and down(but new extension will be on its own circuit)do i advise on this when issuing cert or insist on rewiring lights they dont want to do this,as far as i can work out 7671 says lighting circuits should be sepparated for safety does the new extension help with complying with this.

Thought i would post this question

My nic registration is due now price a bit steep only doing jobs for builders doing this type of work might just get them to notify labc when submitting plans not realy doing enough to justify fees. cheers daryl

Dependant on the type of CU you are using there is a way round. If you are using one of the new dual (or triple) rcd 17th ed. CU's you can do the following:

You can run the lights off their own rcbo on the non-rcd'ed ways on the fuseboard (if you have any). That way any other circuit that trips the rcd's will not trip the lights.

Hi guys in middle of wiring new double extension and fitting new consumer unit ,i have tested all circuits in old installation lights not sepparated upstairs and down(but new extension will be on its own circuit)do i advise on this when issuing cert or insist on rewiring lights they dont want to do this,as far as i can work out 7671 says lighting circuits should be sepparated for safety does the new extension
This is common problem, to which the answer is you can't force client to change existing system, you can suggest improvements, but as long as new stuff conforms you are basically covered. It is worth mentioning on certs to cover your back, and you may wish to suggest emergency light fitting above/ close to CU connected to old circuit - saves looking for torches when lights go out. The one thing you must do is test old circuits (PIR?) to ensure compliance with Zs,insulation, and polarity. If not happy about this tack, then fit mini-CU for new circuits only and comply with 17th regs.

The other scenario is when existing fuseboard is damaged / distressed (ie melted holes or caught fire) and needs replacing anyway, in which case you are justified in replacing without repairing defects to circuits, but you should still test as per above and note defects and advise customer in writing of issues found.

Have tested all original circuits r1+r2 and insulation resistance ok but cant do zs builders mullered old rewirable fuse board and main fuse bare wires showing on main incoming wires (oh crap)so the fuseboard was in lockable cupboard so i padlocked it and took keys with me and said dont open if you want to live,were waiting on dno to reposition meter have posted this before thanks daryl