Lighting master switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

college sucks

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post here 🙂

I have been to a quote for kitchen work, oven supply new sockets, the usual, however the customer has asked for under cabinet lighting, plynth lighting and spots all to be turned off via a single master switch located at the back door so they can kill all lights on way out. On the other side of the room they will be switched as usual on a 3 gang switch.

I have never come across this before and can’t find any info anywhere. Does anyone have any experience in a master kill switch please and can you point me in the right direction, thanks.

You are likely going to need a contactor with the circuit/s running through it and the master switch just switching the coil. It would make more sense to have two way switching but this would require the three switches which might stress them out having to do all three.
Or if the lighting is on one circuit it can be fed through the master switch but to me that is a ridiculous idea as the master switch will need to be on if anyone else wishes to switch them.

Have you pointed out to them that they will have to cross the kitchen in darkness if they subsequently enter it from the house end?

What may be more sensible is a two way circuit, making the 3 gang a four gang, (extra way being another master switch), then switching the individual circuits from that. Alternatively designate one light as master on a two way circuit and just switch the other two as options. That's back to a three gang and less scope for confusion.

Last edited:
Why a contactor? Surely its only a few lights and well below normal switch capability?
Yes I was thinking multiple separate circuits then realised it is probably only one, don't really touch domestic work so was thinking commercial sites. Demands such as this I'm glad I don't.

Have you pointed out to them that they will have to cross the kitchen in darkness if they subsequently enter it from the house end?

What may be more sensible is a two way circuit, making the 3 gang a four gang, (extra way being another master switch), then switching the individual circuits from that. Alternatively designate one light as master on a two way circuit and just switch the other two as options. That's back to a three gang and less scope for confusion.
No I haven’t pointed that out to them, but I will be doing 😄. I don’t see why it cant be normal two way, I think they saw it on a film and want it.

First I'd get them to write down and sign in blood what they want to happen.

A single 'kill switch' is do-able but will confuse visitors entering from the front door finding no switches working

A single 'On switch' action in these days of many LED drivers having a switch on inrush simultaneously is likely to trip the lighting breaker causing still more confusion - unless it only switches back on whatever was last on which again is confusing

Tell them it can be done, but they will need a big switch for it to work, just like this one.
switch.jpg

It can be done quite easily, you will need contactors for each circuit, plus one more.
In reality, if you don't understand this then are you just an electrical installer, or an electrician,?

Why not install contactor on a 2way switch at both ends isolating the lighting feed to the 3 gang switch so the 3 gang switch can be used as normal with the 2way contactor switch killing the power from both ends of the route

Surely the simple answer is 2 way switching for all the lights from both ends of the room.

So they may have to turn off more than one switch as they exit, depending which lights are on, but at least you will then be able to turn them back on if you come in the front door and enter the kitchen from the other end.

Point out the stupidity of their suggestion and try and persuade them to have normal 2 way switching.

Or if the really must have the master switch idea, you need a second master switch at the other end of the room with the 2 master switches forming a 2 way circuit. No need for contactors. But I would expect most people to find that a confusing arangement.