Lights to upgrade - advise gratefully received

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD74

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been asked by an elderly neighbour to help her with a lighting issue. 

She has 30 - 40 of the lights in this photo all over her house, which were installed 20 odd years ago

She can no longer get silver crown lamps she's used for years, which were larger than the ones shown.

https://pin.it/lbOtUAn

The problem is these new ones blow too frequently and are costing her a fortune

I'd like to go back to her with a couple of options but want to double check with the hive mind of TEF first please

1 - is there a supplier of a "larger' format non LED silver crown lamp. The ones she wants are ES and 100w

2 - can anyone recommend an LED alternative that would give a similar light

3 - if its the LED route, could she keep these fittings and just change the switches?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered

Jack

Are the existing lights R60 or R80?

I think you'll struggle to get 100W ES bulbs BUT I suspect its the fittings that are failing not the bulbs or the fittings blowing the bulbs

Need more info really

PS you'll need 10 posts to add a photo

Hope this helps

Thanks very much for your replies

The ones she preferred to use were R80 but I think she's currently got some R60's and some R60's as she struggled to get hold of them

Hopefully this link will work - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/398568635778644269/

I'm not sure if it's one or two which keep blowing or if its across the board. I assume it's a few rather than one problematic one. I've not actually been in the property for a while as the lady is shielding. 

I think she may ultimately have to convert to LED as incandescents will only get harder to find. She's understandably reluctant to unless absolutely necessary due to the cost of replacing 30 + lamps and then the new dimmers.

I'll ask if I can take one of the dodgy ones down to take a look at. Is there anything I should specifically be looking for if it is failing?

thanks again in advance

Jack

Ah, that's not what I would recognise as an R80/R60.  To meimage.pngis an R80, (and are still available).  Those silvered bulbs in your attachment  ??  I don't know.

I would  suggest fitting 1 or 2 LED as see what see thinks, ideally go for natural daylight as she probably has poor eyesight and these really help with eye problems.  Your problem with failing lamps is probably the contact point on the base of the lamp.

a/ the contact point on lamps seems to be shorter than old lamps used to be, making poor contact.

b/ being ES the sprung contact in the base of the fitting tends to get squashed, so combined with the above point, you get poor contact - using a pair of long nose pliers it is possible to lift the leaf springs. 

a/ the contact point on lamps seems to be shorter than old lamps used to be, making poor contact.

b/ being ES the sprung contact in the base of the fitting tends to get squashed, so combined with the above point, you get poor contact - using a pair of long nose pliers it is possible to lift the leaf springs. 

That brings back memories, the old eyeball downlights. Common failure point and as you say a gentle pull with the long nose pliers to get them working again. Replaced a fair few over the years for standard downlights using those conversion plates they used to do for them. 

A lot of the ‘new’ incandescent lamps really are 220v (Asia /USA ) which shortens their life significantly on 230v.  Also a lot are rubbish 

Never did like the look of those plates.

At least now you can get the 'oversized' LED downlighters which fill those holes nicely (Or would if they were even circles - first one normally goes in a treat just to trick you into false sense of security, and then every other bloody one needs fettleing with the padsaw to remove the lumps and bumps from the original freehand cut hole.....)