Link out redundant wall thermostat at wiring centre

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably, but they are so inefficient that some updating makes a big difference. A friend of mine has just built a passive house, he has no-central heating and still has windows open during the daytime this week - slightest bit of sunshine and it gets warm very quickly.

I gutted my bathroom about aayear ago, top floor of a victorian tennement. As part of works we insulated the external walls with 1" polystyrene sheets and plasterboarded over that, what a difference1 must be saving me a small fortune. It's been so much better that any other rooms we do anything to will get the same treatment.

When disconnecting the thermostat wires from the wiring centre can I just tie them together to keep tidy, is this safe? Also if putting a link wire in the wiring centre I assume any single core wire over .75mm is sufficient? I was going to get 1.5mm.

Hi I'm struggling to link out wired wall thermostats in a two zone heating system to replace with wireless. Controller and wireless stats appear to have connected satisfactorily, water and heating function but heating remains controlled by wired stats.

Each stat has three wires (plus earth) terminal 1 is brown (live) terminal 2 is grey (with a length of blue sleeve so I assume neutral) terminal 3 is black. Linking 1 to 2 causes a short, 2 to 3 heating doesn't function and 1 to 3 boiler runs constantly.

Any assistance/advice gratefully received.

I am replacing a center controller and wired thermostats with a Drayton Wiser thermostat system. Replacing the controller seemed quite straightforward. However, the 'wiring centre' is a bit of a snakes wedding and identifying the wires to/from the thermostats isn't obvious so I would like to link out the existing thermostats locally and leave them in place, essentially as dummy units on the wall but I can't work out which wires need to be linked to render them inactive.

The reason for changing to wireless is so that I can control the temperature of the rooms we are occupying by having the wireless thermostats in the room. I want to disable the existing wired thermostats which were poorly positioned when originally installed but I can't see how to disable them and keep the boiler controller working.

Thanks for the replies.....I had a flash of inspiration and I have resolved my problem....I hope! Load test this evening 😁

The boiler was continually firing with the old wired thermostats turned to max but the heating indicator on the hub wasn't illuminated. Neither the wiring diagram on the original control unit or the guidance for the new unit matched the wires coming from the wiring centre were an exact match so I changed the wiring on the new back plate which seems to have had the desired effect.