Little Electronic Component Help Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocketflup

BDSM SUB & SWAGFAG™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, Ive been asked to have a look at a German manufactured coffee maker to see if it can be fixed. Took it apart and found an obviously blown capacitor inside

Cap made by 'ERO' I had to lop the top of it in order to get it off, it had two wires connected straight in before I did that.

Am I correct in my assumption that this is a 0.2 micro farad cap? ive had a look at the RS, Maplin and a couple of other sites and not had any joy, could someone give me a little help in where I might source one of these please?

thanks

Also, since posting that pic, ive realised my laptop keyboard is pretty rank  :wacko:

It's a snubber.

0.2 microfarad 250V non polarised capacitor in parallel with a 1.5 megohm resistor.

Chances are the resistor is just there to discharge the capacitor when you unplug it so it does not leave the mains plug pins "live" due to a charged capacitor.

Very similar, if not identical to what's used in a lot of flourescent light fittings.

I have to admit I though snubbers normally have series resistors............

Yes I could be wrong. Since the resistor is a very high value it might just be there to discharge the capacitor when unplugged as I already mentioned.

You could try RS 707-7928 in parallel with a pair of RS 206-7724 (which are in series).

So the caps are in series and the ends of these are in parallel with the R

----+--------||-------||-------+------

|                                |

|          ______          |

+-------|_____|--------+

It's a class x cap so I assume it was connected across the incoming live and neutral like a suppressor. The coffee machine should run without the capacitor installed, if it's not working there's possibly another problem.

You could try RS 707-7928 in parallel with a pair of RS 206-7724 (which are in series).
So the caps are in series and the ends of these are in parallel with the R

----+--------||-------||-------+------
      |                                |
      |          ______          |
      +-------|_____|--------+
The RS 206-7724 is 100nF so parallel configuration of the two caps in your sketch would give total a value closer to the original 0.2uF. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a class x cap so I assume it was connected across the incoming live and neutral like a suppressor. The coffee machine should run without the capacitor installed, if it's not working there's possibly another problem.

The RS 206-7724 is 100nF so parallel configuration of the two caps in your sketch would give total a value closer to the original 0.2uF. 
You are quite correct Marvo, a bit of a brain fail there!

I deliberately went for the 100nF as they were half the required capacitance, and then just went the wrong way...

I had something else on my mind, long story, that is what comes of not concentrating.

Hi, Ive been asked to have a look at a German manufactured coffee maker to see if it can be fixed. Took it apart and found an obviously blown capacitor inside

Cap made by 'ERO' I had to lop the top of it in order to get it off, it had two wires connected straight in before I did that.

Am I correct in my assumption that this is a 0.2 micro farad cap? ive had a look at the RS, Maplin and a couple of other sites and not had any joy, could someone give me a little help in where I might source one of these please?

thanks

Also, since posting that pic, ive realised my laptop keyboard is pretty rank  :wacko:
Rank !    ....Theres a whole micro-universe of previously undiscovered life forms in there :eek:

Im back on this lol

Customer returned to Germany for a visit recently and whilst there made enquiries as to replacing the cap and returned home with this -

Original cap just had two wires going in the top, and as Marvo correctly guessed was wired across the L and N.

How do I wire this in please?

Incidentally the machine does work without the cap connected as pointed out up there, and Andy mentioned a fuse - no sign of one anywhere in the machine or its European plug

Also, my laptop keyboards hygiene has not improved

Vishay bought ERO in the mid 1990's.  You could try asking them if it's time for a more modern coffee maker :)

I could tell you the answer but we all agreed to never tell you unless you clean that monstrosity you call a keyboard