Live Inspections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeking Help

Reaction score
I was recently asked a question about what type of inspection can be carried out on live equipment as it's 4.5 years since my last compex I presume that the answer is close & visual?

Presumably you're  referring  say,   to a  control panel that  cannot be shut down without causing great problems or expense  ..... you can't attach any instruments  other than taking a Loop impedance reading  ,  so I'd guess all you can do is visually inspect . 

What  does  " my last compex mean "   by the way ?

the official line is no live testing bar Zs as you say Evans. Not that I would want to be live testing other than that and Ze / PSCC / PFC and RCD trip times of course.

What  does  " my last compex mean "   by the way ?
CompEx, Qualification for working on electrical equipment in hazardous areas, be it gas or dust. (Competence Explosion).

Qualification only lasts 5 years and I last did mine 10 years ago so I have forgotten more than I knew.

Back to the OP, and I am sure you know, but for the benefit of others the 3 levels of inspections are from memory visual, close and detailed. You could certainly do a visual inspection (hands in pockets) on all the different types Exd, Exe, Exi etc, could you do a close mmm can’t remember, (hands out of pockets but no tools).  In theory you could do all 3 levels of inspection on an ExI piece of kit as the energy level is limited to below that of what could cause ignition, but in practice I don’t think it would be allowed.

As I say my memory is failing me and you will be doing your course soon if your qual only has 6 months left, so come back and tell us 😀

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
No live testing Eh !   When I started , on maintenance  & breakdowns , the first we did  was  open the panel door , cheat the safety device , switch on & start poking about   . :C  

No live testing Eh !   When I started , on maintenance  & breakdowns , the first we did  was  open the panel door , cheat the safety device , switch on & start poking about   . :C  
Was still doing that up to when I retired 6 years ago, if it had to be done in a Haz Area the risk assessment and permit had to include constant gas monitoring as well as the additional safe guards for live working.

Sometimes there is just no better way to fault find than getting the power on, although it can be an uphill battle trying to explain that to our health and safety colleagues.