loop in /and neutral at switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy old spark

Reaction score
Hi folks

went to look at a new job today,lighting ccts in a couple of flats.

The lighting is wired as loop in with a couple of the lights on the cct wired with neutals connected at the switches ,these neutrals are on connectors which are fixed to the switch boxes.The job looks good and I dont see

any wrong in having the neutrals jointed at the boxes,what are your views ?

cheers

G O S. :)

I much prefer this method - particularly when you have multiple switches for banks of halogen lights in kitchens. the ability to be able to isolate neutrals to help diagnose faults is very handy!

HI BAT

I have never used the push fit type tho I have seen them,are they an approved BS connection eg crimps are solid when crimped up ,are these connectors "tight",by the way im grateful for your views on the lighting ccts

cheers

G O S

Like you i always used to crimp but had problem getting closed end type. The wago pushfit ones are secure you can't pull them out once they are in and certainly quick to use.

Batty

No i don't think so, but i will look at instructions to see if you can.

Batty

Looked on there website, you can remove by twisting and pulling the pushfit. They also do ones that snap shut.

Batty

I'll have to get my boys try out these Wago connectors.

(As for neutral drops at switches, no problem)

Don

much prefer the spider system myself.but I see no problems in having the N at switch, I do it myself quite often on rewires.
Agree totally. The push-fit connectors are also available from "ideal industries", sold through rexel-senate.Can`t remember brand name at the moment, though. Available in 2-8 way configurations.

Not a big fan at all of this method, Steptoe.(My boys included)

Don
I am disappointed Don.

makes it much easier to find faults or add additional lights, no issues about borrowed Neutrals either.

plus no long runs to the end of the circuit.

everyone to their own prefered method tho.

I am disappointed Don.makes it much easier to find faults or add additional lights, no issues about borrowed Neutrals either.

plus no long runs to the end of the circuit.

everyone to their own prefered method tho.
My boys opinion is based upon experience, having seen many badly wired systems.

Quality and being professional in application, are key points in any method of installation.

Dion

hi all

thanks for the response,

as a matter of interest, I went looking though some old specifications (not that old) in them the LA ELEC/ENG has asked for some of the neutrals to be brought back to the box and somelights to be looped in, I DONT THINK that doing this is wrong or bad practice ,more likely that it confuses some people as it is not straight forward, but as long as it conforms with the relevant regs is ok.

However looking at another forum I see that it has caused much debate over the years

I certainly dont wish this one to go on forever.

The bottom line is you can use this method and do not contravene BS7671

It is actually a favourite of sparks on another forum as I remember reading that it confuses the DIYers. :eek:

Nothing wrong with neutrals behind switches at all. There has been a long standing mix-up with the term " Switching the neutral" which, as we all know...... all together now !!

Deke ( Even Grumpier old Sparks)

Latest posts