Loop test trips rcbo circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may be simple t is this but as an older spark is it new to me. When trying to do loop impedance test on radial circuits the rcbo trips off before I get a reading solution please thanks

That is what I was thinking, I have just watched an podcast from the niceic the wire they are saying this is how testing should be done do most tests dead. Then test the rcbos at the consumer unit at 1 times test and that's it add r1 + r2 that's you satisfied regulations

possible that the RCD is also faulty and tripping too early. if itll trip at 1/2x, they often trip on Zs

no idea why you are testing at 1x and adding r1r2 to this though, you need to add that to Ze...

Sorry I am not making myself clear the niceic are suggesting that we need to go through all the dead testing first including R1 +R2 . Zs can be calculated. Next they suggest we pull back from live tests and in the case of rcbos we only do the 1× test to prove compliance. They state there has never been a regulation to say we have too do 5x or 180' degree just pick one so less live testing

Sorry I am not making myself clear the niceic are suggesting that we need to go through all the dead testing first including R1 +R2 . Zs can be calculated. Next they suggest we pull back from live tests and in the case of rcbos we only do the 1× test to prove compliance. They state there has never been a regulation to say we have too do 5x or 180' degree just pick one so less live testing
Yet another reason to disregard the NICEIC and the fact they think they are the regs polis
x5 depends on the purpose of the RCD part of the device, nothing to do with the NICEIC
And the 180 test is I think still a part of the regs, why wouldn't it be,?

I’d question why they recommend as little live testing as possible? I’ve not heard of a competent tester dying from live testing but as a disclaimer I don’t claim to know all ‘live’ testers.

I’d question why they recommend as little live testing as possible? I’ve not heard of a competent tester dying from live testing but as a disclaimer I don’t claim to know all ‘live’ testers.
Safety first, so why the heck do we work with something that trys to kill us all day 🤣