looped supply, neightbour wants to dig up pathway. Rights?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresa1006

Reaction score
Hi,

So my neighbour wants to have an electric car but our houses has something called a looped supply. A man from western power came over and said that they would need to dig the whole of our pathway from the beginning of my driveway all th way to my back garden and into the outside toilet. 

Literally came over for 1 minute to tell me and expected me to accept this as " all houses would need to have access to a charging point in the future as per law", however it is not law yet. And he said my electric cable has no right to be in someone else's properly obviously this was done many years ago before we bought this house 

He keeps talking about this point and he will reinstate the whole pathway dug up. 

What are my rights to refuse them to dig up my pathway for the benefit of nextdoor? 

I feel like I am being pressured to agree with this

Thanks 

What may seem a major inconvenience to you now will be an insignificance later. You will have your own dedicated supply which as it will be new will result in no further inconveniences later on. A job like this usually costs thousands so should not be knocked back lightly. 
they will be obliged to return your pathway to its current condition (in many cases better as it will all be new). 
You may even be able to haggle fro some compensation for the inconvenience as well? 

And he said my electric cable has no right to be in someone else's properly obviously this was done many years ago before we bought this house 

That is total rubbish. Looped supplies were done for a long time and sometimes quite randomly.

Our last house had a looped supply which when we had an extension, we had to pay our builder to dig up next doors path and re-instate the path after the supply company had done their bit

So my advice is seek written clarity from Western Power about what they will be doing and that its at no cost to you - then you can make an informed decision, in your own time

As has been said..

get written confirmation of exactly what they are proposing..

and probably best to seek some local confirmation from someone who can verify exactly what you current supply arrangements are..

I wouldn't base any final decisions on advice that is purely via the internet.

:coffee

As has been said..

get written confirmation of exactly what they are proposing..

and probably best to seek some local confirmation from someone who can verify exactly what you current supply arrangements are..

I wouldn't base any final decisions on advice that is purely via the internet.

:coffee
Hi,

This is the problem, I've asked lots of questions which should have been discussed in our short one minute meeting when Western power came over. He showed me no blueprint of the pathway he plans to dig up until i requested it. The only thing I was shown was how the street electrical supplies are linked. 

So this is why I'm asking the Internet.  I did request him and a electrician come over again to explain in more detail as he expects me to agree to it based on a one minute meeting and a few email chains

Thanks 

Hi 

What difference does is make about who supply is looped on?

Thanks
it does really but from what has been described you are looped off your neighbour and the supplier has decided that 2 houses and 1 car charger off a single supply needs improving

I would seek clarity - these changes can take many weeks to happen 

I would assume the house that has the actual supply into it would keep that, and the house that is looped from the first would be the one to get the new supply.

As others have said, in the past if you wanted it done just so you could fit a bigger shower for instance, you would be charged and you would be expected to make good after excavations.

If you are being offered a new supply free of charge, including all excavations and all making good, there really is only one reply "Yes Please"

Just get it in writing that they really will do all the making good after the work.