Low tariff electricity to top up PV System

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My house needs around 65 Kw/h a day ( + some gas in the winter). The pool and cars are a large proportion of this.
It seems to me swapping to a tariff with a very low night rate, but high day rate, then managing when the cars charge and pool heats makes would make a substantial saving. ( £5.5K to £3.5k ex standing charge).
Then adding off grid PV to reduce the day consumption would further improve the saving; finally charging the batteries from the cheap rate juice to cope with dark winter days would be the icing on the cake. ( £3.5k to £1K)
The figure are pre price hike ( 1 yr left on fixed price contract) post hike the saving is even more impressive.

Any thoughts guys.

My house needs around 65 Kw/h a day ( + some gas in the winter). The pool and cars are a large proportion of this.
It seems to me swapping to a tariff with a very low night rate, but high day rate, then managing when the cars charge and pool heats makes would make a substantial saving. ( £5.5K to £3.5k ex standing charge).
Then adding off grid PV to reduce the day consumption would further improve the saving; finally charging the batteries from the cheap rate juice to cope with dark winter days would be the icing on the cake. ( £3.5k to £1K)
The figure are pre price hike ( 1 yr left on fixed price contract) post hike the saving is even more impressive.

Any thoughts guys.
Sounds about right. A customer of mine did well with a n air source heat pump for his swimming pool, but I would install the PV as grid connected. Wind turbine would be good for winter if you have a suitable location.