main bonding of water

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWDS

Reaction score
Evening all, kust a quick one, I need to bond the water ( of course ) but from the stop tap is all plastic for at least 5mt, bearing in mind the 600mm rule what is my best option ( not plumbing ).

regards Iain

Evening all, kust a quick one, I need to bond the water ( of course ) but from the stop tap is all plastic for at least 5mt, bearing in mind the 600mm rule what is my best option ( not plumbing ).regards Iain
where ever the nearest point is that is in metal bond to that, there is no point bonding a plastic pipe :^O

cheers Scotsman but its in the bedroom at the rear of the property and Elecsa will be visiting this site so I want to get it right, its plastic going up ( mains cold 15mm ) but has 1 joint in the plastic that is copper ( 300mm ) I did not want to bond it there so I may have to bond it under the floor and leave the board loose.

Regards Iain

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

An increasingly common problem.

Either bond under floorboard at nearest convenient point - state on EIC, or my other favourite is to go for combi-boiler which tends to have accessible pipework and links lots of pipes.

Cheers Binky, If I go for the boiler it will be nearer the MET/CU but how do I know that there is no plastic some were between the boiler and the copper that comes off the plastic that is directly onto the stop tap.

Thanks Iain

Cheers Binky, If I go for the boiler it will be nearer the MET/CU but how do I know that there is no plastic some were between the boiler and the copper that comes off the plastic that is directly onto the stop tap.Thanks Iain
tbh you wont, but it will still earth through the water path anyway.

Thanks FS, I know that water is a great conductor just trying to cover my a..e.

regards Iain

Evening all, kust a quick one, I need to bond the water ( of course ) but from the stop tap is all plastic for at least 5mt, bearing in mind the 600mm rule what is my best option ( not plumbing ).regards Iain
OSG. pgs 27 - 32 earthing & bonding covers these points! ;)

4.4 pg 29 "main bond of plastic pipes"

4.7 pg 31 "supplimentary bond plsatic pipes"..

tbh you wont, but it will still earth through the water path anyway.
Oh no it won't - water is a very poor conductor that's why wet light fittings tend to go sizzle pop, rather than bang flash, and blow the fuse straight away, and even then it only happens because the terminals are only mm apart, not meters.

In answer FS is correct you don't know whether there is plastic or copper pipe between boiler and rest of premises. To prove the point you need to do a wander lead test between main earth terminal and exposed pipes around the property. If you find to continuity to earth then do you need a bond at all????

But I find it difficult not to bond something, so I work on the principle that as most heating is still copper, and as gas is present which is always(?) copper, and plumbers don't seem to like plastic on hot water close to boiler, you stand more chance of earthing things from here than almost anywhere else in the house, even given some future mods that might isolate sections of pipe.

My other reason for bonding at boiler is that it helps comply with 'accessibility for maintenance and inspection' ( never seen a boiler you can't get to so far Pray)

I hope that makes sense, but the use of hepco is a bit of a nightmare to which there is no easy answer, other than follow plumbers around putting in earths to different parts of the premises. NO chance:^O:^O:^O

What about a continuity check on pipe concerned, with a long wander lead? Granted, It will pick up parallel paths, but it will give you some idea? No??

Where there is a mixture of copper and plastic on the water supply/heating throughout an installation (copper/plastic/copper/plastic etc..)

I would consider it safer not to bond..

Or even dangerous to do so.............................

(Especially when that bonded piece of copper, may be isolated by plastic on both sides)

; \

Oh no it won't - water is a very poor conductor that's why wet light fittings tend to go sizzle pop, rather than bang flash, and blow the fuse straight away, and even then it only happens because the terminals are only mm apart, not meters.
:p

thanks again fellas, Binky that point re the gas is a good and valid point that I will bring up on my inspection and will post the answer friday evening.

Regards Iain

you deserve a few of these Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

If there are metal pipes in airing cupboard you could bond there. I wouldn't think that bonding under the floor would be a good place as it is not accessable.

Batty

Unless he uses screws and, as suggested, marks it up on his cert.

I would also cut the board between joists - if i was forced to do it this way - so that the inspector don't have to lift the whole board up to inspect it.

Originally Posted by binky Oh no it won't - water is a very poor conductor that's why wet light fittings tend to go sizzle pop, rather than bang flash, and blow the fuse straight away, and even then it only happens because the terminals are only mm apart, not meters.
:D :D:D:D

long length = poor!

short length = can give you a belt! or light a bulb! :^O :^O:^O;)

four legs good / two legs badGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink