Main Bonding Problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
Two questions really:-

1) Is it permissible to use the same bonding wire for both gas and water providing it is in one continuous length. My gut feeling is yes - but can't substantiate this through the regs.

2) I've got to do a really awkward property soon where water, gas and electric are in the three outside corners of the house, fitted carpets and water stopcock behind kitchen units. Gas straight in and under floorboards. Would it be permissible to do all of the bonding at the gas central heating boiler in the kitchen (approx 2m from the water stopcock) on the basis that this is the easiest and nearest place. Note that there must be a branch in the supplies - so I would ascertain continuity to these points as well. If this is OK how would you cover yourself when writing the test cert?

Thanks for the help. I need to get this one right as it will be used for my NAPIT assessment! (Going it alone in October!)

Dave

Two questions really:-1) Is it permissible to use the same bonding wire for both gas and water providing it is in one continuous length. My gut feeling is yes - but can't substantiate this through the regs.

2) I've got to do a really awkward property soon where water, gas and electric are in the three outside corners of the house, fitted carpets and water stopcock behind kitchen units. Gas straight in and under floorboards. Would it be permissible to do all of the bonding at the gas central heating boiler in the kitchen (approx 2m from the water stopcock) on the basis that this is the easiest and nearest place. Note that there must be a branch in the supplies - so I would ascertain continuity to these points as well. If this is OK how would you cover yourself when writing the test cert?

Thanks for the help. I need to get this one right as it will be used for my NAPIT assessment! (Going it alone in October!)

Dave
Morning Dave..

I think your point 1 is just a know good practice thing.. "no specific reg saying Yes or No"

The following quote from...

Page 17,

It is permissible to do the main Gas & Water in one continuous go. :)

It is permissible to do the main Gas & Water in one continuous go. :)
:(

Go polish your eye glass m8!

tis what I just said..

Where a common main bonding conductor is used, special attention is needed to the connections along the run, in order to avoid inadvertent loss of bonding to one or more extraneous-conductive-parts; this may be averted by the use of on continuous unbroken conductor.
Page 17,

:( Go polish your eye glass m8!

tis what I just said..
Are you picking on me Specs? I know that is what you said, that is what I said too. :D

Are you picking on me Specs? I know that is what you said, that is what I said too. :D
well I cant pick on KME!

cuz he told me hes bigger than me!!!

anyway..

I concur with what you said...............

cuz after all...

It was what I said! :| ; \

well I cant pick on KME!cuz he told me hes bigger than me!!!

anyway..

I concur with what you said...............

cuz after all...

It was what I said! :| ; \
Fair enough.