Main isolator switch - where does it go?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springcrocus

Reaction score
I have EDF coming along in a couple of weeks to upgrade my fuse to 100A (and, hopefully, convert the head to TNC-S). I want to take the opportunity to fit a DP 100A isolator in the tails while the fuse is out.

Present arrangement is tails from head to meter, then to Henley's (no idea why, two tails in, two tails out), then to front-end RCD and finally to CU.

Reason for the switch is in case they can convert to a TNC-S system and I can then dump the front-end RCD which currently acts as my isolator. If I stay TT, I will have to change my RCD for a 100mA time-delay type (

Take henley block out and replace with Isolator. If you give the guy doing the head the iso, he will prolly do it for ya. (make him a brew before juice goes off ;) ). If going 17th then all circuits will be on 30ma rcd's so no need for 100ma (or any other rcd) before board.

As for earth...

If upgraded to PME then earth terminal is obviously near head now. If left on TT then would be easier to put a new rod in. After-all it is supposed to be inpectable anyway, so no good under drive.

The only problem that I see with your earth is that you cannot access it..6.0mm on a TT is fine!
I see your point, PFC is 8.2 amps! It just seems a bit strange using 6mm from rod to MET and 16mm from MET (an external block) to CU. :)

Maybe a few Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink are needed. Then a Kango....

(The Mrs wont be happy, though:(

Wouldn't a new rod be cheaper, easier, and less hastle (from the MRS) than attacking things with a Kango?
Trouble is, the whole house is surrounded by concrete and the nearest bit of soil is ten metres away. Am still gonna have to break it somewhere.

Or, of course, I could always string the bonding cable up in the air, a bit like your shed ]:) ] :)

Trouble is, the whole house is surrounded by concrete and the nearest bit of soil is ten metres away. Am still gonna have to break it somewhere.Or, of course, I could always string the bonding cable up in the air, a bit like your shed ]:) ] :)
You could. Looks dead classy :D

erm if it's the main earth to the rod is is classed as a

bonding cable
?

Trouble is, the whole house is surrounded by concrete and the nearest bit of soil is ten metres away. Am still gonna have to break it somewhere.Or, of course, I could always string the bonding cable up in the air, a bit like your shed ]:) ] :)
would look dead brill in the middle of a rain storm with rain ****in down and a good fault running thru,,,,,,

ohhhhhh,

I can just see the blue glow now,,,,, :D

Thanks, Steps. I'll get the hang of this terminology stuff one day. The earthing conductor. Blushing

sorry spring, didnt mean to sound offish, just one of them phrases that I think needs to be used correctly, I was told it would be a knockdown point on the 2391 practical if it was refered to as Main earth.

just me being pedantic really.Blushing