(Main Protective) Bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The main equipotential bonding connection to any gas, water or other services shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry into the premises. Where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, or there is a meter, the connection shall be made to the consumers hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.

This wording is very vague as to where it has to be bonded.

Im doing a job next week which has gas bonding but no water bonding (finding this alot where either gas or water is bonded but not both). The water comes into the property under the sink (this is where main stopcock is) but theres a new kitchen been put in and it will be impossible to get there.

Can it be bonded elsewhere as long as all metalwork is bonded and below 0.05 ohms from MET.

Also ive got a board change to do next week which is going to have to be bonded under the floorboards. Im going to ring Elecsa up to see what they recon but wanted your opinions too as when you ring technical it all depends on who you talk to as to the answer you get lol. Everyone seems to have different opinions.

Got more questions but thats it for now

Thanks

Matt

Can you see the water stop tap? If yes, but not the pipe, I would used a 4" hole cutter to get access to the pipe and bond the pipe there. The back of the kitchen cupboard could then be repaired by cutting a bit of board larger than the hole, and just screw it at the top, leaving you with an inspection flap.

The wording in the regulations gives you the ideal position, in ideal situations, however the clause is that they also say " as near as practicable".

It would be left to the installer to decide where this is, but the position should always be noted on the EIC.

what cant you get to matty the pipe under the sink or cant you get the cable there with out making a lot of mess

M4tty , if I can't get to the stop valve on water , which can be quite often in these days of kitchen fitters who just box them in , never to be seen again , just search for the nearest convenient place and move on, if anybody is unhappy with it let them come and run trunking down the newly decorated kitchen , drill through the nice lady's granite worktops with SDS , smash the back of her expensive units out to find the water pipe.

Airing cupboards can be good because you will have a rising main there I have used this option a few times and have noted it on the cert as Evans says lifes to short to worry.

Just done a kitchen extension. Solid floors, all house beautifully decorated. No bond to gas or water. Managed to get a bond to the water [back of house]...under kitchen units. Gas meter at front of house...solid floors [house built about 1860]. Gas only feeds new Combi boiler which is in new kitchen. So I looped the bond at the gas supply pipe to the boiler as i was passing it on the way to the water main. Noted on EIC that client did not want decor disrupting at this time and a bond would be run to the front of the property when the next bout of decorating is done.... :coat

just make sure it IS ACCESSIBLE,

bonding under the floor is deffo (IMHO) a big NO NO.

bond it where it can be seen and make a note on the cert where it is.