mains changes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamlettphil

Reaction score
right then lads next question, on a domestic mains change how does one get around isolating the incoming tails to the board with out removing the main cut out?? thats if it does not have an 100A isolation switch between? i know weve all done it in the past and pulled the fuse. As weve had it drummed into us if we pull one were sacked. were all supposed to be going on the course to learn how to pull a fuse safely!!!

get a good set of pliers,

(personally I use Knipex 200mm for this purpose)

and,

cut the tails,!

phase first mind.

and always connect the N back up first.

thats it, job done.

right then lads next question, on a domestic mains change how does one get around isolating the incoming tails to the board with out removing the main cut out?? thats if it does not have an 100A isolation switch between? i know weve all done it in the past and pulled the fuse. As weve had it drummed into us if we pull one were sacked. were all supposed to be going on the course to learn how to pull a fuse safely!!!
That fuse belongs to the DNO. It`s their property. You can be sent on any course going; but DNO`s are notorious for refusing permission to touch their equipment.

IF you are following the book; you call the DNO, who visit the site, and pull the fuse. You do your works, then they replace said fuse. NB at the same time, you can verify the size of said fuse, for your cert.

The DNO tend to charge for this service.

That fuse belongs to the DNO. It`s their property. You can be sent on any course going; but DNO`s are notorious for refusing permission to touch their equipment.IF you are following the book; you call the DNO, who visit the site, and pull the fuse. You do your works, then they replace said fuse. NB at the same time, you can verify the size of said fuse, for your cert.

The DNO tend to charge for this service.
or you can give me a call,

Im a lot cheaper,

0800 DIRTY DEEDS

ask for Albert.

Just pull it! 'It was like that when I found it!'

I've opened a service head at my own house to find a disconnected neutral! Phoned up EDF and got an engineer out who told me I wasn't allowed to do that. Doh!

I was told I was 'confused' by the DNO engineer until he too had a look and confirmed the neutral was disconnected. And then apologised to me!

However if I hadn't done it EDF would of never of corrected the fault as they had no records of work being done on the house and by the engineers own admission it's disconnection was more than likely done by them. :(

If you are prepared to wait get them to put in a isolator. They seem to be much more keen to to that nowadays, probably because they realise that everyone pulls the service fuse now! :^O

or you can give me a call,Im a lot cheaper,

0800 DIRTY DEEDS

ask for Albert.
I saw someone doing it your way, once. :(

The phase tail got stuck as he tried to push it into the enclosure.He pushed a bit harder, and it went in, and made a beeline for the (already made) Neutral terminal on the main switch. :eek:

I`ve never seen anything like it. The tails were welded together; and the service fuse fuffed completely. :eek: :O

Think the guy went home for a lie down in a dark room. :eek:

Just pull it! 'It was like that when I found it!'I've opened a service head at my own house to find a disconnected neutral! Phoned up EDF and got an engineer out who told me I wasn't allowed to do that. Doh!

I was told I was 'confused' by the DNO engineer until he too had a look and confirmed the neutral was disconnected. And then apologised to me!

However if I hadn't done it EDF would of never of corrected the fault as they had no records of work being done on the house and by the engineers own admission it's disconnection was more than likely done by them. :(

If you are prepared to wait get them to put in a isolator. They seem to be much more keen to to that nowadays, probably because they realise that everyone pulls the service fuse now! :^O
Agreed. I know we do it, but I`m a bit leery of advising a complete stranger to do it; as we don`t know their technical competance. We would look at some cutouts; and decide that we don`t like the look of the crack in the fuse casing. Joe bloggs could go to pull it, and get thrown acroos the room.

Agree completely with the isolator point. Should be mandatory.

I saw someone doing it your way, once. :( The phase tail got stuck as he tried to push it into the enclosure.He pushed a bit harder, and it went in, and made a beeline for the (already made) Neutral terminal on the main switch. :eek:

I`ve never seen anything like it. The tails were welded together; and the service fuse fuffed completely. :eek: :O

Think the guy went home for a lie down in a dark room. :eek:
:^O :^O:^O

shouldnt really be laffin at that,

but,,,

it is quite funny when its someone else.......

had a moron at work a couple of weeks ago decided to do it with a MC consumer unit,!!! :eek: :O:O:O

how I peeed myself, white as a ghost he was,

now that was plain stooopidity of the first order,

I only do it if im gonna use ISCOs/henleys or a PVC 100a sw.

DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS, I'M A TRAINED IDIOT.

I have no hesitation in pulling it...

If there are no Henleys in place then ********, not the end of the world is it?

]:)

hi when i need to isolate have a look at the cut out and its got seals on

go have a cup of tea come back and the seals are gone

how strange

The cut-out fairy comes and works her magic when your back is turned all the time. ;)

I may agree with some of the above posts....?But I couldn't possibly comment! :| ;)
I'm sure that you have NEVER KNOWINGLY snipped a metal wire......... the side cutter may of slipped from time to time....... ;)

Hello all,

My thoughts on the matter. Working with live tails is insane. My mate who is a cable jointer for one of the electric boards has told me to take the main fuse out . What I usually do with most 60 amp supplies the tails are usually 16 mm. I take them out of the meter replace them with 25 mm tails then re seal the meter. The seals you can buy on ebay. This way at least your side is up to current standards. Then if the customer needs to get there main fuse upgraded to 100 amps the board can replace the other tails. They won't replace tails into consumer unit as that is customers responsibility. If tails are 25 mm and don't need replacing I would then take main fuse out before connecting them into consumer unit. As long as you re seal meter or main fuse I cannot see harm in doing this.

batty

Hello all,My thoughts on the matter. Working with live tails is insane. My mate who is a cable jointer for one of the electric boards has told me to take the main fuse out . What I usually do with most 60 amp supplies the tails are usually 16 mm. I take them out of the meter replace them with 25 mm tails then re seal the meter. The seals you can buy on ebay. This way at least your side is up to current standards. Then if the customer needs to get there main fuse upgraded to 100 amps the board can replace the other tails. They won't replace tails into consumer unit as that is customers responsibility. If tails are 25 mm and don't need replacing I would then take main fuse out before connecting them into consumer unit. As long as you re seal meter or main fuse I cannot see harm in doing this.

batty
fine batty,

BUT you CANT re seal either unless you work for the DNO,

you can put anything you like on it, but its not a proper seal,

have you CERTIFIED your work back to the transformer?

just like everyone cries about the bloke in the house adding/changing a cable from the CU then you have done exactly the same.

DISCUSS.......

Technically, as per my 1st post, I agree with Steptoe.

Even if, and its a big if, you`re qualified to work on the cutout; unless you are employed by the DNO you can`t!!! It`s like cleaning the car mats in someone else`s car! You may have the technical skill to unlock their car, clean the mats, and lock the car again - BUT it doesn`t belong to you. You have no comeback, no insurance and no leg to stand on IF as and when something happens.

As previously stated - We, as qualified sparx, sometimes do certain things which have been suggested on this thread. But make no mistake - if you tamper with the incoming supply, YOU have sole responsibility for anything which may occur as a result.

If that is a risk you are willing to take - fair enough. But at least you are aware that what you are doing is ILLEGAL.

Technically, as per my 1st post, I agree with Steptoe. Even if, and its a big if, you`re qualified to work on the cutout; unless you are employed by the DNO you can`t!!! It`s like cleaning the car mats in someone else`s car! You may have the technical skill to unlock their car, clean the mats, and lock the car again - BUT it doesn`t belong to you. You have no comeback, no insurance and no leg to stand on IF as and when something happens.

As previously stated - We, as qualified sparx, sometimes do certain things which have been suggested on this thread. But make no mistake - if you tamper with the incoming supply, YOU have sole responsibility for anything which may occur as a result.

If that is a risk you are willing to take - fair enough. But at least you are aware that what you are doing is ILLEGAL.
thanks KME,

I know we all do things we shouldnt, but we should never encourage anyone else to do likewise,

its what makes us competent, knowing when to and when not to,

weighing up each situation as it arises.

I have actually put apprentices out of the room on occasion while I did certain things, just so they wouldnt try them,

by the time they would realise what it was i had done then they would have enough experience to perhaps decide themselves to reckon if they should try it.

removing cut out fuses,

NEVER, without duress,

I would rather take the chance of frying myself than be responsible for frying someone elses whole family,!

which is IMHO what you are doing if you remove the main fuse cos then you cant certify replacing it.

thanks KME,I know we all do things we shouldnt, but we should never encourage anyone else to do likewise,its what makes us competent, knowing when to and when not to,

weighing up each situation as it arises.

I have actually put apprentices out of the room on occasion while I did certain things, just so they wouldnt try them,

by the time they would realise what it was i had done then they would have enough experience to perhaps decide themselves to reckon if they should try it.

removing cut out fuses,

NEVER, without duress,

I would rather take the chance of frying myself than be responsible for frying someone elses whole family,!which is IMHO what you are doing if you remove the main fuse cos then you cant certify replacing it.
CONCUR 100%