Mains fire alarms and the Regs/Part P

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontLookAtMe

Reaction score
I have fitted more mains fire alarms than I can remember but I have a curious question (the back story is far too complex). If a client asks me to remove them from their home, can I remove them?

I would obviously advise against it but an Englishman's home is their castle and all that. I have never seen anything in the regs that says I can't but have I missed something? Part P perhaps?

I appreciate this is not a good idea but is it allowed and if not, where is it stated that you can't remove them on request?

Darwinism at its best.

only a fool would remove mains powered smoke and heat alarms

I agree 100% that it would be foolish to remove them but life is not always the way we want it to be. My question is whether or not we are allowed to rather than whether or not it is wise to do so.

The BBB doesn't cover smoke alarms so nothing to stop you removing. As long as its the customers own home then it's not a problem. However I would get written confirmation that the customer is going against your recommendation. Just to cover yourself in the event of issues arising in the future.

As long as its the customers own home then it's not a problem. However I would get written confirmation that the customer is going against your recommendation. Just to cover yourself in the event of issues arising in the future.
I definitely would. Just visualise the headlines, "Electrician had removed smoke alarms before family perished ......."

Would not this come under a Minor works certificate in which case the requested works can be listed with a note saying requested by owner.

nothing to say you cant take anyhting out

Yup nothing stopping you assuming it’s the clients own property

The BBB doesn't cover smoke alarms so nothing to stop you removing. As long as its the customers own home then it's not a problem. However I would get written confirmation that the customer is going against your recommendation. Just to cover yourself in the event of issues arising in the future.
I'm sure the building regs might go against your removal comments which is the legislation used to warrant their installation in most cases

I'm sure the building regs might go against your removal comments which is the legislation used to warrant their installation in most cases

Would it not depend on why they were installed in the first place?
Suppose a loft extension was added, then building regs would insist on smoke alarms being installed. But if the home owner installed them for his own peace of mind yes they could be removed.

If the building is rented out, they must stay. If the building is in Scotland they must stay

I know we are not aware of the back story, but it may be an opportunity to change them all to more suitable ones, and change the smoke alarm in the kitchen to a heat alarm. (You get the idea) Or maybe they just have cheap and nasty smoke alarms.
And before he says it. Aico

Darwinism at its best. There is nothing I’m aware of saying a home owner has to have smoke alarms - apart from common sense😁