master switch for a block of socket outlets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
I am running a 20A radial circuit to three bedrooms each with 6 socket outlets for computers and associated paraphernalia (had to look that up). I would like to have a main switch for each block of 6, how can this be done seeing as you cannot spur more than a double socket off a (switched) FCU?

Answers not to include using three ways at the CU or using a 6 gang switched extension sockets! :)

Thanks for any ideas ?:|

If you are using a switched FCU as the begining of the spur you can have as many 13A sockets as you like because the spur is limited to 13A. :)

I trust that this is your house then TT?

Your children using too much leccy, Eh?

:D

Don't blame ya, I said that I would do it for my sister - for her Daughter's bedroom. :)

Admin,

You may want to reword your last post - sounds a bit wrong!!! :eek:

lol

D.

How about a DP isolator such as the MK K5105WHI for starters?http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=3077&rangeid=1030

It's rated at 32A.

Originally I thought of their 20A DP isolator, K5403WHI:

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=3073&rangeid=1030

There is a proviso that states: "Not recommended for switching large banks of PCs". It may not be a factor in your application. No definition is given for the large bank of PCs.

Pyro.
Thank you Pyro, that's really helpful. Plus I'd confused non-fused (there's a potential limerick) spurs with fused spurs Blushing

There's only one pc on each block of 6, so the MK switch will be fine.

I trust that this is your house then TT? Your children using too much leccy, Eh?

:D
Yes, and forgetting to turn everything off last thing at night...

In my day you only had to be told once X(

I am running a 20A radial circuit to three bedrooms each with 6 socket outlets for computers and associated paraphernalia. I would like to have a main switch for each block of 6, how can this be done seeing as you cannot spur more than a double socket off a (switched) FCU?
You can spur as many sockets as you wish off a 20A radial if you are using a 13A switched FCU.

You cannot spur more than one socket off a non-fused spur. A fused spur protects that spur to 13A maximum so you can run as many sockets as you want!

That is your solution! You answered it yourself in your original post!

You can spur as many sockets as you wish off a 20A radial if you are using a 13A switched FCU.You cannot spur more than one socket off a non-fused spur. A fused spur protects that spur to 13A maximum so you can run as many sockets as you want!

That is your solution! You answered it yourself in your original post!
Thank you Mr Sworld, that was one of my plonker moments :D