Mature(Ish!) New Starter With 2365 Seeking Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
This is my firs post on the forum, hello. 

Im 29 years old and I am on course to complete my L3 2356 this year having completed a L2 2330 some years back. I have limited electrical experience outside of college. Iv helped on a couple of domestic rewires and done odd jobs for family and friends but that's about it. I am looking for ideas or advice on what to do next.

My plan was to complete the L3 and then try and find work with an agency or with a local small firm etc as an electricians laborer/mate in order to build up my skills and confidence. Having spent some time looking online most of the jobs for electricians mates list JIB, ECS cards and the likes as a requirement. Obviously Im not in a position to apply for these with my current level of qualifications.

So, I'm looking into other possible routes of progression. Part P perhaps? Or try and get on an inspection and testing course this year when the L3 is completed? Should I get the 17th edition qualification out of the way now? Just ideas.....

I am not in any rush to become 'qualified'. I'm happy to start at the bottom in order to get the skills I need 'on the job'. I'm not expecting to earn decent money to start off with, im realistic about what to expect. But I would like to get back to full time work in the industry in some capacity, having been working part time (non electrical related) fitting around college since September.

What options can people suggest that might be open to me at this stage?

Thanks for reading.

Why do you think you can't get JIB or ECS card?

Your better getting one and working for a firm.

2382 worth doing also

JOB apparently have all sorts of grades so you should be able to get one if you so wish

ECS is just a health and safety thing (i think)... another easy one to get

As for qualifications,,, a current regs wouldnt go a miss,,, and a testing and inspection would probably be a good help

However,,, if you're looking for employment then experience and knowledge will be the key,,, which can only be gained "hands on" I'm afraid

Hi  JohnnyC .  I think your way forward would be ....continue with the college ...you need the basic C&Gs  whatever its called these days, plus the 17th Regs  I'd think .     Then working as a Mate with a contractor or one man band to gain practical experience .    Theres no substitute for hands on experience with a contractor or one man band  to be honest. 

JIB  do a Mate's card I believe , then you upgrade as & when . 

As things seem to be picking up now you may drop on a job with someone .   I wish you luck.