Max PV system size for UK FITS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found a client who is interested in a BIG PV install.

However, he has had a BIG national out who have told him that the max he can have on a domestic premises for FITS is basically 4kW.

Is this correct as he could probably put 6 of those on his roof space!

It may be worth me doing the courses etc. IF I can land this, or else sub it out to another who is local! ;)

I am unsure but I think the 4KW is the domestic cut off before planning applications must be obtained.

Lets face it if you can afford it and have the space the bigger the better. However like I have said I am only guessing at this point.

4kw per phase, so if he has 3 phase you and he are laughing!

also, you can have over 4kw on one phase but you need to arrange this with DNO as far as I'm aware, plus the +4kw tarrif is slightly less than the 41.3p.

I think anything over 4kw gets the commercial tariff at around 29p.

G59 (not GN - it isn`t a guidance note mate) - is the DNO spec. for EG`s >16A/phase( Embedded Generators) ; but it IS the relevant document, as far as DNO connection goes.

You`d have to liase with DNO to see what their network can handle in that area ( remember than, for the most part, the network was never envisaged as having multiple local sources feeding into it!)

IF the DNO are happy, you can go over the 16A/phase limit, with the correct planning application.

I have a contact (AND the installer qual ;) )

KME

Thanks sellers and KME, I had no idea it is not one of my many areas of expertise, but thanks to your informative replies I can now see the reasons why 4KW would be a domestic max (under normal situations)

Just done course, going MCS soon, not that local though :(

Which bit of wales are you in? South Wales aint too far, and North wales will give me an excuse to take out a day or two to climb a mountain.

He`s "dahn sarf" mate, same as me and Admin ;)

Come down, we`ll arrange summat - a welcoming committee from the admin clan, backed up by the snakehip tribe & Mrs. KME ......... :coat