MC4 for PV Systems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISSWWW

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy MC4 style connectors from an alturnative company at what would be a very competitive price.

They connect mechanically and electrically to the multi connect version and have a tuv rating.

Basically my question to you all is would you buy these in place of the market leader?

MCS accreditation?
From all the information i have from talking to the manufactures it is only the Panels and the installer that need MCS accreditation.

This is an extract from an informed source;

To comply with the governments new FIT (Feed In Tariff) scheme Solar PV installations have to be carried out by an MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) approved contractor and the Photovoltaic panels (Solar Panels) must be MCS approved, however the other parts of the installation DO NOT have to be MCS approved, this includes the Grid-Tie Inverter, Cabling, Solar PV Frame Work & Other electrical items deemed necessary.

As per Albert; we will if they`re from an MCS accredited company; else the customer loses the chance to claim the FITS. (& they`d probably have a fit!)
As above

What about the crimp tools? Could do with a set at a reasonable price.
I am going to stock tools and tool kits.

Since my origional post i have decided to stock both Multi Contact and Amphinol connectors and tools.

Orders have been placed and should have the stock very shortly.

Oooh.

Now THAT info, regarding the MCS, is in direct opposition to the info we were given - the invertors and ALL component parts had to be from an accredited company.

I`m going to have to look into this - it may open the market up considerably.......

I would appreciate any feed back, I'm sure i think what i know is right but i'm always unsure what i think i know is correct so if you could help me understand what i think i know that would be great!

I AM sure that what you think you know or what i think I know will maybe be correct but whether one lot of information is incorrect seems likely.

I think that further information regarding the necessity or lack of will be forthcoming from one source or another.

I like most others have been under the impression that ALL components have to be MCS , from the information you have provided Megger Mark I now doubt this. I see as many loopholes in PV installations as I do with Part P.

I have been looking through a load of stuff since MM posted this and I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere,

only that components of a PV installation for FITs must be MCS approved.

I, like KME, was told during my course that ALL parts of the system MUST be MCS approved, or equivalent.

on thinking about it, does the conduit etc need to be approved too? after all, if used then surely it becomes a component of the system.....

I have been looking through a load of stuff since MM posted this and I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere,only that components of a PV installation for FITs must be MCS approved.

I, like KME, was told during my course that ALL parts of the system MUST be MCS approved, or equivalent.

on thinking about it, does the conduit etc need to be approved too? after all, if used then surely it becomes a component of the system.....
Very good point steptoe, which is why I got my thinking cap on. Not every componant can be accredited, the variables in installation would prevent this, I agree the major componants should be, but individual installation componants that are covered by other accreditation or BS should be allowed.

where would it end Manator,

do we take it as default that only the direct components, ie, cabling, switches, couplings and actual fittings , need approval then,?

would still apply to the connectors then IMO.

I dont know, yet another half thought out idea really.

Given the level of traceability required for the MCS accreditation by installers, I wouldn't want to risk anything not being MCS registerted with the exception of general electrical compnets such as conduit. The whole point of the paperwork system is full traceability and in my aircraft background that even applied to screws.

One thing i am sure of is that Generation meters do not have any approval other than what is required for their market IE MID (OFGEM) approval and 20year warrenty, and MC4 connectors are used by everyone in the PV business and they do not have MCS accreditation.

I am sure there is a regulation for the inverters G**, but again i don't think they are MCS.

That will be why then :innocent

What about the connectors ?

I really dont know anymore,

but in all honesty, I think they do need approval, they would be a "direct" component of the install on the DC side, like the cable, which does require MCS approval, along with the DC isolator/s.

sorry MM, but I dont really think anyone would take the chance for the sake of what the saving may be,

as someone else stated, there is a very tight paper trail, and all the FITs and accreditation being lost all for the sake of a connector simply wouldnt be worth it.

I am going to find this out for certain tomorrow and report back, it seems everyone is a little bit in the dark on this subject.

Latest posts