MCB Question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B)Evenin` all.

Will a standard MCB work on a 12V D.C. system?. I`ve got an inverter fitted to the van, and have a few hundred "spare" MCB`s floating about. What`s the odds on using one as an overcurrent device on the DC side? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

p.s. Go to sharm-el-sheikh. It`s a bit good. :D

hi

i cant see any reason why not.

yes it is true that the little contact open gap is more ac orientated, but your currents are small....

Is the current really that small doc?

1Kw invert - 12V - 83.33A

IIMHB that it would work, but have no logical grounding for that belief. I may try a 5A unit, under measured conditions, and see how it performs. May be the best course of action.

Thanks Doc. May the voice of reason always be the loudest. (Profound, or what??????)

[quote name=

p.s. Go to sharm-el-sheikh. It`s a bit good. :D

Both my kids have been there.... :)

hii cant see any reason why not.

yes it is true that the little contact open gap is more ac orientated, but your currents are small....
Surely the contact gap is a voltage thing?

Hence 12V is not a problem?

; \

gap would indeed be voltage specific; but the arc from make/break would have to be pulled away by magnets, or the contacts would weld shut (for D.C.)

How we doin` ext?

We didn`t take the kids, they`ve got they`re own families to deal with. Just the two of us. Lots of stuff "popping out", as Jamie would have us believe.

p.s. Anyone else see the story in today`s "mirror", about the american who got arrested for having sex with his patio table (in view of the neighbours).

I`m not sure which question is more important here......

How????? or Why??????

First Saturday of the month WW. Some of us get paid promptly every time!

Cheeky little sod.... I haven`t dropped a touch.

Can`t you tell??? my grammar & spelling bits in me brain still work.

p.s. who`s nicked all the smileys then (ext.......?????????) :^O :^O