megger 1720 tester

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambrad

Reaction score
can anyone help

I have bought the megger 1720 multi tester and need help clarifying the rcd testing. I am fine with the testing of the rcd on the ring main using the plug adaptor but are struggling a bit with the test when using the probes on the radial or at the rcd.

can anyone let me know what leads are used, what colour leads go to which terminals and then what leads go to each cable.

I dont understand the quick guide that came with the tester.

thanks

RCD's should be tested as near to RCD as practical with all loads disconnected. I have not seen the particular model of tester you refer to, But I am guessing there is a live lead, a neutral lead, and an earth lead, because without these it will be a struggle to get an RCD to trip.

Doc H.

+1

ive not used/seen the 1720, but on the 1552 the earth lead goes on the earth bar, the live to out going live on the rcd unit and neutral on the neutral out going. then press test on meter and reset rcd 4 times. as the Doc says rcds should be tested as close as poss ie at the rcd. you only need to test each rcd once and not on each circuit it protects.

wayne

On the 15xx series, the RCD test is a 2 lead test.

Earth on the earth bar and live on the RCD's outgoing live

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:18 ----------

You don't need to have the neutral connected

the problem with the 1700 series testers is that the colour of the leads is different to the tester and different connections are used for different tests. they have tried their best to make the quick guide almost impossible to understand. I did speak to megger and they said the guide had been printed wrong but couldnt tell me how it was wrong. They just told me to wait for the corrected guide. This doesnt help when you are trying to work.

well,

unless they have made some major changes to their testers megger are one of the most foolproof, easiest to use testers there is,

basic maybe, but simple enough for a child almost, that is why so many 5WW have them, ;)

they really are the most simplistic plug and play tester out there, for doing the straightforward tests anyway.

headbang

I am genuinely worried that someone who cannot read an instruction manual......

(or perhaps doesn't understand the technicalities of what they are trying to test),

is offering to work on the electrics in someone else home!!

Lets be honest.. If you know what sort of reading you are trying to get....

its not too hard with most meters to suss out where you stick your probes!!!!!

this trade IS becoming a joke headbang :C :Chair fall

Hello ambrad

Ref: An RCD test with a Megger MFT1720 using testleads.

Testleads should be connected as follows: Red lead connected between terminal L1 on the MFT and the outgoing phase of the RCD / Green lead connected between terminal L2 and the main earth terminal of the fuseboard / cpc of protected circuit. No neutral connection is required.

Regards

Megger TSG